Author Topic: I gave it a try  (Read 1224 times)

Offline hilltophickory

I gave it a try
« on: May 19, 2013, 09:20:06 am »
I think I would have starved if I was a native a many hundred years ago , I Tried a glass jar bottom , a thinner glass bottom , a piece of orange chert , then tried to re work an old thick flint scraper , and I just couldn't get any thing too shape . I was using abo tools it seemed to me that I wasn't able to get the thickness worked out of any of the pieces . guess im gonna have to find a knappn somewere in OHIO to set in on.
Hickorys what I Know best

blackhawk

Re: I gave it a try
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 10:42:13 am »
Keep trying man...and if your in Ohio I can't stress enough making it to flint ridge(labor day weekend?)...its the premier knapping event east of the Mississippi river..and maybe in the whole country...its the biggest concentration of some of the best knappers around..and most if not all are open arms to sitting down with you send helping you out..just ask ;)

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 10:44:36 am »
Don't get frustrated, I have been trying to knapp since october and I still suffer the same issues as you. Hang in there and if you get it figured out ....hell let me know the secret.
Matt
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 11:56:24 am »
definitely not s skill learned over night. I broke up a couple hundred bucks in good stone before I started making anything worth while. I just takes time and practice
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline hilltophickory

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 02:59:26 pm »
Im gonna look into the flint ridge event , should be a good time .
Hickorys what I Know best

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 03:21:06 pm »
I missed flintridge by one week last year >:(  I'm still learning the ropes to.  Any chance you get some instruction from someone that knows what there doing sure helps.  They say it takes a ton of rock to learn.  That may be the case for most, but not for me.  I'm well into the second ton and still struggling.  Keep at it, when you get good, maybe I can get some pointers from ya. Josh