Author Topic: For all you purists out there !!!!  (Read 6529 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

Re: For all you purists out there !!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 11:24:50 am »
Nice

I've made 4 or 5 PVC recurves, 2 out of schedule 80. One drew about 55 and the other a little
over 60.  >:D However, as you guys know, the more you stress a bow the more likly it is to break and the 60lbd (horse style) bow broke right in the handle pretty epicly.

I also broke another Schedule 40 that drew about 50lbs because it was barely flattened. This reasults in a high crown and a rounded belly and it just can't take the stress. So, here's the lesson. These bows will work great, just make sure you take the time to heat and flatten them sufficiently.  :)

I plan on making several more. The short length/long draw thing is very alluring to me.  :)
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Marks

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 12:00:22 pm »
Nice

I've made 4 or 5 PVC recurves, 2 out of schedule 80. One drew about 55 and the other a little
over 60.  >:D However, as you guys know, the more you stress a bow the more likly it is to break and the 60lbd (horse style) bow broke right in the handle pretty epicly.

I also broke another Schedule 40 that drew about 50lbs because it was barely flattened. This reasults in a high crown and a rounded belly and it just can't take the stress. So, here's the lesson. These bows will work great, just make sure you take the time to heat and flatten them sufficiently.  :)

I plan on making several more. The short length/long draw thing is very alluring to me.  :)

So when they break, how likely am I to end up with a PVC pipe stuck thru me eye socket?

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 12:53:19 pm »
well, most of the time they just fold, sometimes they snap, but that's usually when its super over stressed and high crowned.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 03:18:32 pm »
Just as likely as it would be with any bow. I usually can't my bows and I was doing such when both broke, both in the handle so the wrap slowed it down some.

I haven't had one fold but I've had one just take a good bit of set so I reprofiled it and it was allright.

Mine were around 10-15lbs above average but I think just adding a few extra inches to distribute the stress better (like you would with a wood bow) would contribute to the safety and longevity of the bow. If you flatten your bow sufficiently and don't burn it, there's no reason to worry any more than with any other bow.  :)

I also barely weigh 150 so I find it helpfull to have another person to stand on the jig to form the bow to ensure considerable flattness.

Also, if you are worried about the fumes, I am mostly sure that you only get the worst harmfull fumes when you burn the pvc (which ruins the bow anyway), just lightly melting it doesn't produce nearly as much, if any.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 05:38:59 pm »
Nice

So when they break, how likely am I to end up with a PVC pipe stuck thru me eye socket?

I have no doubt that this bow will last just as long as any other. As Dan said, don't burn the pipe and keep the taper even, and you will have no problem.

Jon

Offline Roy

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 09:44:18 pm »
It's nice, but I will stay with Osage.

Offline johnston

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 10:10:29 pm »
Jon we have had some dealings and one of your bows has laid a squirrel or two to rest for me.

If you say it works, then for me it works.

Lane

Offline Marks

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 10:36:49 am »
I was inspired by this post. I haven't gotten a shootable bow made yet and due to life and crappie fishing I haven't had a ton of time to work on mine. I figured in the meantime I could made one of these and learn to shoot. It took me a while to get a technique down on flattening the pipe but I got a shootable bow out of it even though it was only 20#. I looked up that guy on youtube later and found that he tapers flat toward the tips. I flattened the whole thing. I'll give it another shot on another pipe. The best thing about this stuff is the bow failed on me twice and I just had to unstring it and stick the heat gun on it til it popped back out. Good as new.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 06:43:25 pm »
I was inspired by this post. I haven't gotten a shootable bow made yet and due to life and crappie fishing I haven't had a ton of time to work on mine. I figured in the meantime I could made one of these and learn to shoot. It took me a while to get a technique down on flattening the pipe but I got a shootable bow out of it even though it was only 20#. I looked up that guy on youtube later and found that he tapers flat toward the tips. I flattened the whole thing. I'll give it another shot on another pipe. The best thing about this stuff is the bow failed on me twice and I just had to unstring it and stick the heat gun on it til it popped back out. Good as new.

Glad to have helped. Nicks videos are a big help and he is very good at what he does. I actually have one of his bows that I traded for.

Jon

Offline Patches

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 09:46:39 am »
Great...now something else I have to try building!  :)   Thanks for posting the pictures.  I have been using a hedge bow for bowfishing, but I hate getting it as wet as I have been getting it the last week (due to rain and wading to shoot fish).  This would work great for bowfishing. 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 05:07:10 pm »
lcant let you have all the fun Jon, made this for a buddy of my son who's trying to do some horse archery, 3/4" sch 40 ended up 49" ttt and 35# at 28", 28" arrow in the pic
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 08:18:42 pm »
Looking nice Bub. They sure are fun to build. I think I may reflex the handle on my next one a bit to get that horse bow effect.

Jon

Offline bubby

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 06:13:14 am »
yeah they are fast to build and fun, shoot pretty good too, I narrowed the tips on this and everything
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹