Author Topic: Clay as arrowheads?  (Read 7404 times)

Beleg813

Clay as arrowheads?
« on: November 12, 2007, 09:29:39 am »
Ok, so if we can get pieces of porcelain and flintknap those into arrowheads...would it be possible, feasible, effective to mold and shape clay into thin arrowheads, throw 'em in the oven and then use 'em?

Or, is the clay just by being shaped alone not strong enough? Just curious..looking at quick ways to mass produce arrowheads (arrowheads that work of course!)

jamie

Re: Clay as arrowheads?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 12:46:47 pm »
if i needed to go that far to make a point i think i would just use carved and fire hardened wood points. it is an interesting idea though. try it and let us know.peace

Beleg813

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 05:55:18 pm »
I have to somehow come up with a way to make arrowheads. Venisonburger gave me a bunch of bandsaw blades to cut out with either a dremel or a hacksaw (live in an apartment have no space), and my flintknapping is atrocious....so, I'm looking for alternatives.

The dremel / hacksaw option would work (and did), but it's also quite loud for apartment walls that are as thick as paper!!

jamie

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 06:09:02 pm »
bone and a file. score the bone with a knife and smash then abrade the point to shape with a file or even on concrete or stone. peace

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 12:03:54 am »
Hi, I used to do high fire ceramics for a hobby.  It takes a special kind of clay and temperatures of ~ 2000ºF to produce porceline or similar glass like ceramics.  I think there are lots simpler ways to make arrowheads.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Beleg813

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 09:03:01 pm »
Thanks for the responses, guys :)

Jamie--I was thinking about cutting out some Gemsbok horn to do just that. I was going to cut trips down the length and then file my way to happiness err arrowheads.

M-P, Yeah 5 minutes after goofing with clay (made some beads from a clay polymer type of stuff, baked it in the oven) I didn't think an arrowhead made from it could withstand actual use in the field. So, after hearing that it wouldn't work from people who have probably been doing it a very long while (some before I was born likely), it ended up me realizing something wouldn't work myself.

Isn't there some saying about some things not being able to teach others they have to go and stub their toes themselves first to learn it?

Oh well hehe :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 09:33:35 pm »
   I tried that a few years ago with a mold .But melted glass in a kiln.It was actually easier to cut the glass out with my saw.I am going to try and cut some glass or Obsidean and polish it into a point and just chip the edge.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?