Author Topic: Wood prep question. I feel like a moron asking  (Read 3154 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Wood prep question. I feel like a moron asking
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 10:35:58 am »
There are 3 important things to consider when choosing a board-grain, grain and grain. More on my site. Kris, I can go on if you are interested. Check my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 11:27:10 am »
Find a hickory board with straight grain, or, the lines are perfectly straight all the way from the top of the board to the bottom.  Then post pictures on this site and we'll help you make it.

Buy a 1x2 (or bigger) and a board about as tall as you (or taller), then come here.
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline adb

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 11:48:17 am »
don't let these yahoos get you all biased to boards, they make great bows, most all the lam bows on here are from boards and if they were staves they decrowned them and in essence made a board, I know most on here prefer to work a stave but there ain't nothing wrong with a board bow

Well said... agree 100%

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 04:57:20 pm »
I love boards, but unless you have near perfect grain, back it. I believe adb has said "backing a board is just good planning"  I've got a nice gash in my head because I thought the grain was "good enough".

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 08:22:43 pm »
Find a hickory board with straight grain, or, the lines are perfectly straight all the way from the top of the board to the bottom.  Then post pictures on this site and we'll help you make it.

Buy a 1x2 (or bigger) and a board about as tall as you (or taller), then come here.

I've had less breaks with hard maple and white oak than hickory, maple makes a better board bow than hickory imho, just my experience, makes a faster bow that is not as moisture unfriendly as hickory
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 05:11:36 am »
Alright so what I'm gathering is woods to look for are: Hickory, Hard Maple, and White Oak? Just want to clarify this to myself so I don't end up picking up the wrong lumber. Also that Ash stave is still sitting pretty on my shelf since I couldn't bring myself to bite into it yet, I want to finish a board bow before I do that
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline George Nagel

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 05:45:34 am »
2 solutions as I see, as you are presistant  as you are. #1: back your next board bow with silk and TB11, OR just jump in and get yourself an osage stave and  go for the rings, it ain't hard and I'm sure you'll do very well. Lots of advice here if you need.
George
___---------------------------------------------------------------->