Author Topic: tips for beginners on procuring bow staves  (Read 13701 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: tips for beginners on procuring bow staves
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 08:58:47 am »
Come to the Classic and beg, >:D seemed to work for a lot of folks. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D Wished I could give some better advice but I am blessed with bow wood. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 10:03:00 am »
Just find a local woods, bring a bow saw late at night, and know how to climb a tree.  >:D
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 11:02:50 am »
So what your saying is pappy, that miraculously staves just appear?  :laugh: Id love to go at some point, probably wont happen until im out of college
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline DuBois

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 12:18:31 pm »
Lol Jackcrafty there's a whole lotta TX i ain't seen yet and Midland is part of it ;).  Musta been another k-hat ::)

Oh, and there's always the problem of "where'm i gonna put this stuff?".

I have also been realizing that just getting the wood is only the beginning if I don't treat it right. I ruined wood cause I HAD TO GET IT NOW and then threw it in the garage uncared for, only to find it had for some reason filled with cracks :o I have to restrain myself some now to be sure I have the time to not just cut it, but debark and seal or whatever.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 02:11:55 pm »
Osage is the perfect "i'll get to it when i can" wood.  If an opportunity comes to cut some, cut it and seal the ends is all you gotta do right away.  It can sit in the garage until you have time to split it and debark it.  Just make sure and keep the bugs away, pesticide is handy for that.  I even know of some who seal it, spray it down real good with pesticide, and leave it outside.  Still works out fine.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 04:06:52 pm »
Like Osage Outlaw said, Craigslist. I just go to the free section and see if anyone has likely bow wood to give away. A while back a lady advertised that she had vine maple to get rid of and did anyone want it? I got a whole pickup load of 4 and 5 inch straight splitting staves!

Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 04:55:17 pm »
my main problem with bow wood is trying to explain to my parents as to WHY on earth i care about that big ole 8 inch elm log laying in the driveway.
here's a good one- find a neighbor wih some nice bow wood growing as a weed. Then ask them if they want it removed :P
my favorite is to just bike around my nieghborhood and  see what people are cutting down... and haul it off. i don't get much wood, so i am in trouble if i ruin a stave. However... i do have access to BL.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 06:40:45 pm »
I'm a new guy myself, but I have discovered through reading on here that there are other bow woods growing in my area. They may not be good 'ol yeller wood, but here is a thought I haven't seen mentioned yet. What is available in the area where you live may not even grow where another member lives. That's one reason why we have the trade section on here. Who knows what another person may be looking for that, like you, they don't have access too? I figure its with a try.
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 10:21:56 am »
my best tip is to be opportunistic. there is nothing worse than seeing a prime piece of wood when i'm out on a lunch break or something and having to leave it because you have nothing to cut it with. I always have a handsaw in my trunk. I even keep a small bottle of titebond in my trunk to seal the ends.
45# at 27"

Offline DavidV

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 12:25:00 pm »
So.... how many people have almost gotten in car accidents looking at a tree on the side of the road?

I know I have.
Springfield, MO

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 12:28:05 pm »
David, I'm right on board with you. I have been caught looking at the trees just searching for a stave, not even an actual stave just looking.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 01:07:07 pm »
My best tip is to be polite and considerate to those who have plenty. You might be suprised what you get in return.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 03:45:37 pm »
One issue I ran into was not truly understanding what trees grew in my area. I knew about the big species like oak, maple, ash, elm, you know, the big popular hardwoods. But with a little research I've learned that there is a wealth of others around me such as hophornbeam, buckthorn, serviceberry, black and wild cherry. I had no idea what some of those species were until I started actively researching.

It may seem like common sense, but you need to learn what you've got and how to identify each one. You'll probably be surprised to discover what is growing right around you. Its a lot to learn all at once, so I keep pictures of each species of interest on my cell phone so that I can identify them in the field, or show pictures to those people who could get them for me.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 10:17:45 am »
Step one: PM Pekane to see if he knows any Certified Arborists in your vicinity. (he probly does)
Step two: Call the Certified Arborist in your vicinity
Step three: Profit
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline DLH

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 10:25:49 am »
Around my college town there are subdivisions developing and they push out trees with a dozer most of the people just burn them. I found a nice straight hackberry but it had set too long so I missed out but it may have been beat up with a doZer bad too.