Author Topic: I'm not really sure how I managed to do this...;D  (Read 3834 times)

blackhawk

Re: I'm not really sure how I managed to do this...;D
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 02:05:05 pm »
Wow. Wow. Wow. Very purty... HOW IS IT SURVIVING THAT DRAW?
Low weight can break the 1/2 rule?

There ain't no "rules" in bowyering...just general guidelines...the longer you make bows the more you'll figure this out....lots of strong hunting weight bows have been made that pull half or more of there length...its all bout someone executing proper design and physics..n sometimes you have a rare anomoly with wood...and sometimes folks just get lucky...and I could go on and on in great detail of all this...but I think it wood be better if you build more bows and learn it on your own first hand...;) and dont accept everything you read on the internet as the "truth"...lol :laugh:

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 02:15:29 pm »
Did you glue on a risor? And are the tips and handle measurements including the fades? Thanks.
nope, it's a selfbow.
and yes measuerments include fades

Thanks this is going to be my next board bow....hopefully.... However ill make mine 65" long. Im not as brave as you :P
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 02:19:25 pm »
And sometimes folks just get lucky..

+1

Just look at my successful longbow made from mahogany probably the worst most brittle wood possible. But still made a bow.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline AH

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 02:22:22 pm »
Did you glue on a risor? And are the tips and handle measurements including the fades? Thanks.
nope, it's a selfbow.

Thanks this is going to be my next board bow....hopefully.... However ill make mine 65" long. Im not as brave as you :P
good luck :)

Offline AH

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 02:26:55 pm »
Front profile...the bow's limbs are 3/4" wide.
And I thought only osage could do that.... :D

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 02:58:50 pm »
Well for one thing, once i made a 'kids bow' that had been a bow for me but then the back ring popped off. It's still full of violations, not much set, but lightweight. I think it's EASIER to make a lighter bow with crazy dimensions, but it's still amazing how much bend you allowed the wood to have. I think with this bow it all comes down to good tillering, besides the weight.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 03:00:03 pm »
Tiller looks really decent. That plus the low poundage is probably holding together. Nicely done!

Jon

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 05:43:53 pm »
nope, it's a selfbow.

good luck :)

Thanks.  How thick is the working portion of the limb? Does it taper or is it all the same? Thanks
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline AH

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 11:49:12 pm »
Parrellel width taper ;)