Author Topic: Keeping stone heads sharp  (Read 2563 times)

Offline kleinpm

Keeping stone heads sharp
« on: May 20, 2013, 08:35:10 pm »
I use a plains style quiver, and the stone heads get dull fairly quick even though they don't move around much. As most of you know, the scary sharp edge of a head isn't the most durable edge.

One season back East I just touched them up as necessary, but I wasn't moving around much so they didn't need to be touched up much.
Now that I am out west and chasing elk, my stone heads are bound to get banged up.
I have resorted to making little leather pouches that slide on the head, and that keeps them sharp, but its not exactly a great solution for hunting.

How do you keep stone heads sharp in a quiver?

Patrick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Keeping stone heads sharp
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 12:21:28 am »
Try a little pouch for each head with a string to attach it to the quiver. Have a loose fit that the head will slip right out of.
   Dried moss in the bottom of the quiver so the points don't touch each other.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 11:05:57 am »
Like Pat said, and you said too, make sheaths for the points, I use rawhide squirrel skins w/ the hair on the inside.  Tie them all together with a thong and as you pull an arrow out, the rest of the arrows hold the sheaths until the last arrow.  I use a side quiver too.  Good luck and happy hunting them elk, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 11:55:41 am »
Thanks for the replys. I guess leather sheaths it is.

Patrick

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 03:11:27 pm »
i know how aggravating it is! I make my quivers pretty soft and thin on the tip side in hopes it will hold them tight, then I stuff some braintain the bottom and when I slide the arrows in I try to arrange them (by feel) to slide in between the braintan and the leather walls of the quiver....if that makes sense to you.  Then I am just super careful.  Seems to work pretty well until I get tired and careless. If I know I am going to be moving a bunch, I just carry them by hand and lay them down next to me.   Makes for interesting, yet aggravating hunting don't it?!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 05:04:02 pm »
I use a bow quiver (gasp!)- it has a foam insert with slots for each head. this type of foam could be put into your side quiver. Sometimes this bow quiver is on my bow, but other times I attach it to a short stick and carry it like a side quiver.
When using a regular side quiver, I have used sheaths for each head, like others said. I make 'em out of thin cardboard, they usually fall off as i withdraw the arrow.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 05:59:21 pm »
I have a basket quiver so the go to the outside and a hat to the inside.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 06:12:55 pm »
I dunno.  Mine stay pretty sharp regardless.  The very tips are the only things I need to touch up, when they break off.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 12:07:56 pm »
  I kinda agree unless shot a time or two or even 3. I can't see takeing them in and out or just moveing around in your quiver dulling your stone heads.
  I resparpen after practice with mine all summer. But never saw the need for resharping unless I use it. Then most times I use it a second ,third time before I resharpen again. Stone dosn't dull like steel unless it's OSIDEN maybe.  I you feel the need make some covers for each head then you'll never have to worry about it untill you use it.
 I like texas chert and use them for hunting the most.  THATS FLINT TO THE PEOPLE DON'T KNOW. Here in AMERICA we don't have real flint. Along the attic coast and in EUROPE bit not the US'S. We has chert and vocanic glass but no real flint. TAXAS CHERT dosn't get a sharp as VOLCANIC GLASS (OSIDEN) or as easy to knap but way tuffer. And stays sharp even after used a time or two.
  Heck have you ever seen the heads our indains here in the east used and shot. They lived by them I'd stave because I would'nt even haft them to one of my shafts.
  So your heads not being sharp enough to kill a elk. Unless your knaping really sucks I'd think your thoughts are unwarded.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING