Author Topic: Squirrels Rock (first knapping project)  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Squirrelslayer

Squirrels Rock (first knapping project)
« on: May 23, 2013, 12:59:06 pm »
well everyone, on the recent bow making course i wen't on the instructor (will lord) gave me some blades and a scraping tool. i then looked at other flint scrapers on youtube and such and found that they were round thin tools. here is what i came up with this afternoon.

here is the rounded shape that i saw most of the scrapers had. oh i forgot to mention the tools im using are a bit of antler and the pointed end of the tang on my rat tail file.

here is the other side. i know it is not as flat as the ones ive seen but the little ridge on the back of it fits really well between my fingers. i had another go at some more scraping of the rabbit hide as there was just a bit of fat left on there.

heres a pic of the hide being stretched out on a frame will gave me.

so now i have too brilliant flesh scraping tools and now to finnish off some flint blades that will gave me to work on. i would say that this is not bad for a first attempt. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline iowabow

Re: Squirrels Rock (first knapping project)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:07:05 pm »
Good to see flint in your hand and not just talking. It's a good place to start. If you have more flint use a hammer stone and start making points. Just post the points and ask advice. This will be a good way to start with this knapping group.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:17:04 pm »
yep thanks, ill have another post tommorow of a flint multitool! if all goes to plan it's going to have a serated saw blade a knife edge and a gut hook for skinning animals. i may also start a arrowhead. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 02:32:03 pm »
Dont talk just do! and then ask advice period.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:32:55 pm »
I have a number of pieces of flint very similar in color and texture to that piece in your hand.  It is saved and cherished, kept in special braintan leather pouches in the bottom of my swag chest. 

They came from a ship lost at sea travelling from England to India in the East India trades.  These are gunflints manufactured in the 1700's.  Maybe it's their history that makes me think so, but they seem to get the fiercest sparks in my flintlock rifles.  They are only put in the locks when I am hunting in full period dress. 

Folks can wax eloquent about their wunnerful French amber flints, but in my experience they tend to shatter too easily, something these English sea-soaked flints never do.  I know what Mullet is thinking at this moment and I'm a step ahead.  Got one soaking in buffler whiz!   ;D

Good luck knapping, kid! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 10:33:32 pm »
 The dark brown Flint I have from Denmark looks just like that. I save all of my pieces when spalling for gun flints.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?