Author Topic: straightening finished arrows  (Read 2652 times)

Offline k-hat

straightening finished arrows
« on: May 27, 2013, 02:19:19 pm »
I have some poplar arrows finished with satin poly that need straightening again.  any recommendations on straightening without marring the finish?  I usually use a screwdriver and compression straighten, but i think that'll mess up the finish.  In my experience hand straightening doesn't last long so I want em to stay straight for a good while.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: straightening finished arrows
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 04:13:17 pm »
Try a roller type shaft straightener. It works by compression too but used a roller so it shouldn't mar the finish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 02:07:57 pm »
Thanks Pat.  I thought someone might say that, guess I'll hafta see if i can get my hands on one.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 03:38:42 pm »
I use my hand and the heel of my other hand. I can straighten any shafts any time that way. No marring at all. Ive never used any tools to do it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 06:07:38 pm »
Chris do you have to do this each time you shoot, or does it work at least semi-permanently for mild corrections?  I've heard hand straightening is only temporary, but I don't have enough experience with straightening arrows to verify that.

The bummer is i had them all straight and then after i sprayed the finish on some got a little outta shape again >:(

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 06:44:17 pm »
Kevin I rarely straighten arrows again after the initial bends. I may whack the side of a tree and have to bend one back. If they are bad enough I cant straighten them they get flu-flu'ed. I cant speak for all, but I have made probably thousands of arrows from many materials and never really noticed any not staying straight nregardless of the material I used. Heck some of my cane and boo shafts wobble like a wet noodle, but they fly like darts. Parallel machined shafts are a different bird. Its hard to line up the nock and tip if there is any wobble at all, they have to be straight through their length. Cane shafts just need to have the majority straightened between nodes and then its all about getting a point end and nock end spinning true to each other. I still suck at shooting, but boy do they fly nice missin'! Sorry for the gust of wind..
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 01:58:26 pm »
   I do use benders ,straighters while working shoots straight, down to the right spine that I want. But I look down every arrow when set down to hunt a site. Lots of times I've have given a bend here and there if needed. I think it was PAT said to use a roller type straighter. They work thought compression and it rolls simi around the shaft. Unlike a screw drive or bottle where they compress down one strip. I've never used on finile finished arrows. You might get by without being able to see it. You'd have to try and see.
  I shoot my arrows a lot when I'm finished working them but before I do the findle finshing. Do it like, this most times after you shoot a while you'll have to go back and do a little restraighting on some arrows. Restraighten thius findle time before findle finishing.
   So if your worry about how they look do it like this.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline k-hat

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 02:08:23 pm »
Thanks for all the good info Chris and crooketarrow.  I'm still tryna figure out all this arrow making stuff, still VERY green at it.  I'll get these as straight as i can, shoot'em some, and refinish them i suppose if i need to .  The rest will of the info will definitely be handy on future arrows.  Thanks again guys.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 12:49:00 am »
I've had some luck using friction heat by rubbing a wool sock on the shaft and then bend straightening.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Forresterwoods

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 12:57:51 am »
The best way I know of is to heat up only the concave side over a stove, then hold past the bend for about 5 seconds to cool a little. I've had slight bends straighten on their own due to the heated side EXPANDING.

Kevin

Offline k-hat

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 11:46:54 am »
thanks guys, i've got several that need straightening, so i'll try all the mentioned methods and see which works best.

appreciate the help!

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 04:45:23 pm »
I use a burnishing tool, and rub out the high spot.