Author Topic: 11th Tennesse Classic.  (Read 391231 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: 11th Tennesse Classic.
« Reply #375 on: February 26, 2008, 10:11:00 pm »
Ahhh! Sorry Pappy (Mark) and Greg! I tend to be really bad with names. Sometimes I forget my own!!!!  :o

Hmm! Bishop it sounds if you have your way those from the north would be called "Uppers" while those from the south would be "Downers". Get them together and you should have your drug of choice!  >:D ;D >:D (Just could not help myself!!!)  ;D

Cant wait to meet all of ya! 

Now what do ya call someone from WA state?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #376 on: February 26, 2008, 11:40:53 pm »
  Call 'em tourist in Florida.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #377 on: February 27, 2008, 12:01:42 am »
 ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #378 on: February 27, 2008, 12:13:24 am »

Now what do ya call someone from WA state?

David T
Usually, "stupid tree hugger."  >:D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #379 on: February 27, 2008, 12:23:49 am »
 ;D ;D

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #380 on: February 27, 2008, 12:39:26 am »
Watch it buddy! I'm tot'in slugs!!!! One slimy up side the nog'in will change your whole perspective!   >:D ;D ;D

Truly though, them tree huggers are up here but you really should have seen what it was like 20 years ago. There was hardly a tree standing and clear cuts everywhere except the national parks! Now its starting to get better.  (Though them Californians are up here putten houses everywhere!!!) But it will take time. Bad news is that Yew trees here in the Pacific Northwest were considered a waste tree and slashed and burned to get at the cedar and pines. Such a waste of good bow wood! Thats what burns me britches~~~~  >:( 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #381 on: February 27, 2008, 01:05:41 am »
Are you saying you need an attitude adjustment? ???
Do you remember 20 years ago or are you just quoting what the tree huggers told you it was like. All those flattened trees were from Mt St Helen.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #382 on: February 27, 2008, 02:35:57 am »
How bout a WApper! ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dustybaer

« Reply #383 on: February 27, 2008, 04:17:30 am »
 ;D pat, you're killing me (and this is 7:00 in the morning)  ;D

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #384 on: February 27, 2008, 04:36:37 am »
Ooooh! I LIKE IT!!!!  ;D

Justin, you truly cant tell where the St. Helens blast stops and the clear cuts start.  That was then but its still pretty bad!  Bums me out more about the loss of Yew trees that could have been made into so many gorgous bows!  >:(  I've been in the area now 20 years and it still gets to me. Lots of fantastic wild areas but its starting to get prety crowded on the west side of the Cascades. Seattle now looks more like LA every day! When I first got here there where no traffic jams in Seattle. Now if you try to drive through the city its a parking lot! Thats why I try and stay on my island most of the time. Head into the city when I feel like some aculturatin! Still some great hiking but I head more to the Olympic Peninsula than the Cascades since there are still fewer people out that way. But, (SIGH!!!!) thats changing too! Where the heck are all the people coming from??!!!??? Say, can we put some of the people back where they came from? Its getting crowded!  ;D (Here endeth the rant!)  ;D ;D

Its like 11 pm where I am Dusty. Where you at?

David T

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #385 on: February 27, 2008, 09:44:10 am »
Thanks for the compliments Marius and Justin, we try our best to help out. This year there are four of us dedicated pretty much full time to helping with the Self Bow Challenge. Anthony, Jeff, Pappy and myself. As Pappy said, he is apt to get called away alot helping supply the glue that holds the entire event together...and besides, Pappy is good at spreading around that southern hospitality us southerners are so famous for. ;D

We would appreciate any help you folks would like to give, but mainly we want you to enjoy yourselfs! ;)

We haven't priced any of the staves we have yet, still in the process of getting them ready. We plan to have them in the form of roughed in bows with propellar mostly if not completely removed and some reflex...ready for tillering. I expect they will be in the neighborhood of between 35-50 bucks...just guessing. We plan to make them mostly 68" pyramid style due to easier tillering. We will have some for kids shorter of course. We will have tillering strings, bow stringers, and some bow strings for sale while they last. We have thought about selling everything mentioned including a scrapper as a kit, but haven't decided that either. There will be vendors also that will have most anything you want.

Gary Davis will be here again this year with a good supply of osage stave for sell. Gary does help support anyone purchasing a stave from him through the bow making process during the weekend.

We would appreciate everyone making a bow to sign up for the Self Bow Challenge/Shoot, because that is the only way the club makes money from the Self Bow Challenge portion of the entire event. The club only has a membership of 25(and not every member is active), so allowing four of us full time to the bow making does keep us from helping support everything else that is going on. What is earned from selling staves/strings and the like is what we put back into the bow making throughout the year. Purchasing tools, bandsaw blades, the new awning that we will have in use for added bow making area, etc. We're planning to purchase a log splitter this year, and if you've seen all the firewood we go through, you know why.  ;) Might be able to split hickory and osage logs also, we'll see.

Any of you that can bring your own equipment, we encourage you to do so. We have quite a bit, but the Challenge is getting larger each year as well. We really are looking forward to this years event and seeing a lot of you that came last year as well as meeting some new PA members! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #386 on: February 27, 2008, 10:32:37 am »
Can I sign up to help CastIron ::) ;) ;D

Be glad to help in anyway I can guys.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #387 on: February 27, 2008, 10:34:24 am »
Well said GregB. If you register for the challenge it will also give you free run of the practice range and in between scraps ,you can shoot you other equipment.Some register and work on bows all weekend and don't shoot,that is fine,I don't think but 10-12 shot the course last year with the bow they built  but still felt like they got there moneys worth.It sure ant about money to me and Greg but it dose take a lot to keep things up,and this event is what keeps it going,the rest comes out of our pocket It will be great I promas you that.Can't wait to see Dusty's article. :) :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #388 on: February 27, 2008, 10:36:56 am »
You just want to be close to the food Dana,.I was boned at night but not last night. ;D ;D
You are welcome anywhere you want to be,just make yourself at home. :) It can be your
sourthen home. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

CastIron

« Reply #389 on: February 27, 2008, 10:58:09 am »
Can I sign up to help CastIron ::) ;) ;D

Be glad to help in anyway I can guys.

Dana you are welcome to help in the kitchen all you want,  can you build a fire without Pappy's Liquid Boy Scout   ;D ;D

I need to get a sign that says no diesel in the cooking area,   I bet Pappy has already planted a can where I can see it  >:D ;D