Author Topic: Arrow material of choice  (Read 6389 times)

Offline twisted hickory

Re: Arrow material of choice
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 07:27:59 pm »
I'm working some red osier right now that I cut back in March.  It doesn't want to stay straight.  Do you Osier experts have any advice?
I am not an expert by any stretch but Red osier will change a little when the humidity changes drastically. Just use some moderate heat to straighten it out and you will be okay. 4 coats of a good poly that is NOT water base is best then they don't change much.
You will find it is a great arrow wood that is very tough. It will take repeated direct impacts with trees shooting at tree rats with not ill effects. It is a bit heavier. If you shoot 50 lbs and over you will really like it.
Greg

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 08:33:42 pm »
Yes, fir.   ::)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2013, 09:01:56 pm »
Thanks Greg.  I dipped a few in a water base sealer and they warped.  I hand straightened them and they seem ok now.  Next few I'll try pitch varnish.  I've used Service Berry, Hazel nut and Ocean Spray with incredible results.  Doug fir is pretty good too.  Really been getting into shoots.  There a lot of work but incredibly tough!  Kills you to loose one though.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2013, 09:28:56 pm »
Thanks Greg.  I dipped a few in a water base sealer and they warped.  I hand straightened them and they seem ok now.  Next few I'll try pitch varnish.  I've used Service Berry, Hazel nut and Ocean Spray with incredible results.  Doug fir is pretty good too.  Really been getting into shoots.  There a lot of work but incredibly tough!  Kills you to loose one though.
Yes, I will search for a while because they do take some work to make but once straight they are great. I am going to have to try hazel nut and see how they do.

Offline AH

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2013, 09:50:19 pm »
Bamboo.
just cause it's easier than planing a shaft out of a blank like with poplar or cedar. ;)

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 10:57:46 am »
Third would be natural shoots: privet, sourwood, yaupon holly, and roosevelt weed being my favorites.
Will any holly work or just yaupon?
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 03:02:57 pm »
As long as it's straight, any holly should work.  Yaupon is similar to osier but heavier.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Forresterwoods

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2013, 02:29:54 am »
I've seen good results with hard rock maple, red balau,, leopardwood, mahogany, and teak. They recover from paradox quicker than softwoods so I can underspine a bit. They also have interlocking grain and some weigh less than 400 grains.

Kevin