Author Topic: I can't stand it...  (Read 4275 times)

Offline iowabow

I can't stand it...
« on: June 01, 2013, 01:12:06 pm »
Going on my first elk hunt! Going with Scott my good friend/primitive colleague/fiercest archery rival but this time we face new challenges. We had the good fortune to get some instruction from Hawk and Wolfwatcher (BTW thank guys) on how to take elk working together.  I have been driving my wife crazy with the elk call. She complained to the point it was clear practice had to happen while she was at work. I felt like she was being left out so I called her at work and blew the call over the phone which we have laughed about for days.  She has become my personal trainer accompanying me on forced marches and pushing me out of bed for a morning hike. She has been researching camping hot meals and we have been trying them out for some lunches and dinner. She has enjoyed being include because she not going this time.  So many details to think about for a first timer. I have been carring the day pack on hikes and trying to vision what the day is going to be like. I bet this sound familiar to those who prepared for there first trip. As the days draw closer it starting to feel more and more real. It would be great to hear stories about others first times experiences.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:34:12 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: I can stand it...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 04:34:06 pm »
theres nothin like elk huntin...  well except maybe getting ready for elk hunting...
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 06:03:53 pm »
My first elk hunt was in '96 and two greenhorns from the midwest, my buddy and myself, drove from Illinois straight thru to just outside Silverton Co. into the steep and high altitude San Jaun Mountains. When we arrived we set up camp right away, shot some arrows then went right on up to over 10,000 ft. altitude for a late afternoon hunt. Came down fast after dark and then I spent the next 12 hours in the tent wishing I were dead because of the altitude sickness. ;) That was the only bad part about the trip, the next 7 days were great as we spent all day, every day trying to tag a elk. Probably saw 120 elk that week and never got any closer than 100 yards from any of them. ;) Like I said 'greenhorns' on our first elk hunt.
I've been on three more elk hunts since the first one in 96' and wish I could do it every year. To a guy who grew up in the midwest chasing whitetails and elk hunt is really something special. I finally tagged one on my last hunt, a cow in Montana with
one of my osage selfbows and can't wait to go again.
Enjoy every minute of your hunt John and take lots of pictures. Oh, and good luck to ya also.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 06:12:20 pm »
That sounds great!  I've had similar instructions on turkey calks at home.  I'm looking forward to seeing pictures when you're back.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 07:25:10 pm »
John. I went on my first elk hunt in 2006. I had 8 months to get ready and my wife was about ready to shoot me before I left.  ;D  I would hike around my woods with a full pack. We live at 2600' elevation  so I went up to the Blue Ridge Parkway(5000') and would hike up to Black Balsam Knob(6200') with a full(60#) pack. This is as high as I can get around here so I did that a couple of times. We hunted between 9000' and 10,000' in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado north of Durango. Build up your lung capacity and take it slow and steady when(if) you get into high altitude.
  We took home made granola to snack on during the day. Kenneth's wife Kathie used a dehydrater and dehydrated fruits and veg all summer from their garden and dehydrated ham and added it to the mix. Some chocolate(M&Ms), different nuts and grains, It made for good nutricious snack food. Drink lots of water also, especially if you will be at high altitude.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 07:35:40 pm »
John went to the Flat wilderness area for 10 yrs in a row starting in 1985, Get in shape high altititude isn't kind to flat landers. :( :( Stay away from cafine and achohol first couple of days in high country an believe me you can't drink enough water. Remember if back packing the vacation ends when you get an elk on the ground. Good Luck an watch your top knot ;D ;D Bob

Offline Wolf Watcher

Re: I can't stand it...
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 10:01:43 pm »
My opinion:  The bugle can be your friend or your enemy!  There is a lot more to it than just making the sound.  There are three kinds of bulls you bulge for;  1.  small bulls that are easily scared away.  They will often bugle back but will seldom come in so you have to go to them!  They usually have a higher pitched bugle and when you recognize this bull you need to avoid the deep sounding bugle. Try your cow call. 2.  Herd bulls are on constent alert for another bull trying to steal his cows.  The cows could care less about the bugles and are always on the look out.  You have to go to this bull and that is very difficult.  They have a deep and guttural bugle often with some grunts at the end of the bugle.  Sometimes sounding like a small bull trying to sneak in and steal a cow will cause this bull to investagate but only for short distances from the cows.  He is the toughest bull to harvest with a bow.  3.  The third bull is usually a good sized fellow and he is willing to fight.  He is the bull everyone calls in!  Sometimes this bull can be worked for some time if you use your bugle with discretion.  The cow call can be your friend as long as you use it with the discretion I mentioned.  Cows make several different calls and learning to mimic them can make the cow call very effective on this bull.  Having a favorable wind is Paramount to having luck with this guy.  I have had them completely circle me trying to get my scent.  One trick that has worked for me many times once the bull is really talking back is to get on top of his bugle before he quits with a bugle of your own.  One thing you can count on is all these bulls will know exactly where your bugle is coming from so having a shooter out ahead of the one calling is a good thing to do!  Bugling elk is what I do each fall just to have the thrill of messing with them!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 11:12:24 pm »
No doubt we will be less prepared than we should have been, but we are doing our best. Thanks for the advice guys, and keep it coming. I feel that so much of hunting depends on burning up boot leather, but hopefully we will be able to retain some of the wisdom we have heard from you that are more experienced! We have had countless phone calls back and forth trying to work out every contingency, sometimes I feel like I'm gonna pop before Sept arrives.   :)

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 10:22:50 am »
98 days do go...
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 12:05:15 pm »
I remember my first elk trip, was to the White River National Forest in Colorado. Near Meeker, with the closest dot on the map called Buford, which was nothing more then a general store/gas station and a half dozen cabins sitting right on the river bank! We were going to camp at Big Fish Lake which was several mile hike from where you could park your vehicle in a campground. I was hiking with full pack 3 to five miles, several times a week, for about six weeks prior to leaving. I think that allowed me to really enjoy the hunt, because I had little trouble with getting up there and the altitude.

For a Tennessee boy who had never seen the Rocky mountains, I was in awe! Didn't know up front how I would be effected, but once there the hunting was secondary to experiencing the mountains! I simply loved it! The first morning of the hunt I set on the edge of a park (we call a meadow or field), and just took in the view. I kept looking up at the mountain above the timber line, and soon hunting was forgotten and I didn't stop climbing until I got there. I sit down against a big boulder and saw wildlife that I didn't know the name of and just took it all in for about an hour before I started back down. I remember laying in my sleeping bag and listening to elk bugle in the distance, and thinking that it had to be the wildest sound on earth! Such a majestic animal! I didn't get an elk that trip, or the next two trips in the following several years afterwards partly due to using traditional archery equipment and not getting one in close enough, but going out west and experiencing the rocky mountains remains one of the highlights of my life! I don't regret any of it, including trying to make it happen with traditional equipment...wouldn't change a thing!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 09:18:41 am »
Greg B I have been to the Buford store many times an Mr. Tucker was a wealth of information.  John, Joe is giving you some dead on info about bugle use, Colorado got bugled so bad in the 90s that I just plain quit caring it an used cow and calf calls only. John, get in the best shape ya can but remember unless you have a compression chamber you still have to acclimate to high altitude. Try an go easy first few days, Altitude sickness can be real serious for some an is mysteriously fickle at who it effects. I loved everyday in the mountains so many new plants an trees to ID an the views  just make me stop an stare an realize just how small and weak I am in the whole scheme of nature. It is No wonder why early NA are so reverend of the land. Hey you got me dreaming of my many fall days spent in the mountains, go an hunt hard but also remember to stop an smell the roses, For me an elk kill was just frosting on a already wonderful cake. Bob

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 10:43:01 am »
John,
I was thinking that I'd want to bring some Coca Leaves in my medicine bag.  I think they are legal and acceptable to bring, etc.  Also, from what I've read...non habit forming.  They are supposedly highly effective against altitude sickness.  Just a thought...

Good luck with this, very exciting.

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 02:33:26 am »
One thing I have trouble with is patience I can't stand to sit still long, bad omen with elk and black tail. Unfortunately my two favorite animals to persue. Elk are famous for sneeking in behind you right behind you. Even when they've bugled they will shut up and about the time you think they left and stand up they trot into the brush 20 yards behind you. Most elk are what we call bugle wise over use of any call is a sure way to not see elk. Elk can be tricky to read when bugling the fine line between over agressing and being uninterested is a tough call. I try to cow call about once every half hour a couple to a half dozen chirps and wait quietly 20 min for a response move 10 min and repeat. Reality I cow call boardem sets in 5 min moving again I can't tell how many times I've walked head on to elk that used to be interested and I got to see little more than dust. Any more I let elk make the first bugle then I try to read them from there. But above all be patient take your time and you'll have the time of your life.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 05:19:13 pm »
96 days to go... ;D

Stringman

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 06:18:32 pm »
Thanks, duck... but you're not helping.