Author Topic: suitable horn  (Read 1702 times)

Offline feistyporter

suitable horn
« on: June 02, 2013, 09:11:14 pm »
It seems very difficult to find information on the web about which types of horn are suitable to use in composite bows. Water buffalo is always named first, gemsbok is sometimes mentioned. I have read both that cow horn is unusable as it has a tendency to delaminate, and that it can be used. I saw a picture of a bow supposedly made with longhorn cattle horn. As horn is expensive, and waterbuffalo is not exactly common in the New England, I thought it would be nice to create a list of types of cattle with suitable horn for bowmaking, and potentially even the area they are common. I always think it is nice to find local substitutes when possible.  Please post with your experience.
There is no way to happiness
Happiness is the way

Offline PatM

Re: suitable horn
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 11:15:06 pm »
Apparently cattle from colder climates produce better quality horn but obviously few cattle breeds actually have or get to keep their horns.
 Scottish Highland cattle are one of the few cold weather adapted longhorn breeds out there.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 11:41:55 pm »
I think it's more size of the horn than type but I've never built one and there is little info on it that I can find
I like osage

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 03:43:28 am »
Water buffalo or gemsbok are the horns to use. Ibex can also be used but is a bit more advanced. Both buffalo and gemsbok horns can be found for sale with  a quick search. The reason they are named first is because they are the best - it as simple as that. You can try using other horns in smaller length and butt joint them together to get enough length but the joints will ultimately fail. Personally with any hornbow I think it is only worth using perfect materials because it takes far too much effort to make a hornbow only for the materials to fail due to bad choice.
You wouldn't build a house on half finished foundations  ;)

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:20:27 am »
I have seen Bison used on this site and it even made Bow Of the Month if I recall properly. I have some bison horn with that exact intention just waiting on my other projects to finish themselves up....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others