Author Topic: Beaver tail grip?  (Read 9785 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Beaver tail grip?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 08:47:55 am »
Hey Pearl,
I skinned a tail once...............lots of grisel and fat.  when I got it all flesched out it was pretty thin.  I used it as rawhide and did a grip on a hickory bow.  Just be real careful if you use it as rawhide, I soaked it and applied it to the grip.  when stitching it up, the holes can tear out real easy.  but once dry makes a real nice grip.  Can't find my camera now, but I'll try and post some later.
BDar

Sounds like I need to have the grip only moderatley tight at first to allow for drying and shrinking. I will apply my rawhide knowledge to this project. Thanks for the tip/tip's!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 09:33:31 am »
I have had bad luck trying to skin them,get in to big of a hurry I guess, :o got faith in you Pearl,I know you will do a fine job. :) Looking forward to seeing the outcome. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gordon

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 09:51:48 am »
I tried using a tanned beavertail for a handle and made a mess of it - the holes tore out. You have to be gentle with this stuff as it doesn't stretch well and is rather delicate.
Gordon

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 10:15:52 am »
I tried using a tanned beavertail for a handle and made a mess of it - the holes tore out. You have to be gentle with this stuff as it doesn't stretch well and is rather delicate.

I've heard of folks gluing on a thin piece of leather to the back of it to deal with it wanting to tear out the holes when tightening the lacing ...

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 10:49:09 am »
Hmmm... just pulled a number of tails off the drying board last night!
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 12:37:16 pm »
   PEARL I did and do it like this.
  I've put 20 plus or more on 2 different ways. First off you have to scrape all the fat away and it has to be totally cean of fat. I nail streach to a board. Let me say skinning tails suck use a thin sharp knife.
   After skinned,scraped ,dryed. When I'm ready to use it. I uselly trade for them arerady skinner but for the ones I get local I have to do it myself.  I put in water a day to make it plyable. And cut it just like you would leather. The punch holes I used a small leather punch. But I like useing a leather awl and just punched them in. I like the awl no cut edges like punched to help in the tearing. Then I just use a large needleto sew it on with.
  Tails are softer than leathers and punched holes tear out easyer. I fit them where I can sew them up snug Tails dry and will srink. Which is good.
   I've also glued on thin leather strips 1/2 inch lenth of (holes) handle.  Then awl in the holes. They really good at backing up the holes to stop it from tearing out. This works really good and I did a lot like this. But atfer a few you'll know how much pressure you can go before tearing out as hole.
  Lately I've cut thin elk hide (soaked leather and hide) cut to fit, glued the hide to the elk hide. Glued on with TB111 then awled the holes. And sewed on while plyable.
  BEAVER TAILS GIVE YOUR BOWS THAT LITTLE BIT OF PERSONAL LOOK. And there's no better feel and non slip handle materal. It's cold here durning buck season works great this gloves.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 12:57:33 pm »
Thanks for the tips Roy. My tail is all dried and fleshed, it looks clean to me. It sounds to me soaking it for a good bit is the biggest key. If I have to skip sewing and just mate the ends perfectly, I will. I have enough material for two attempts.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline autologus

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 01:01:53 pm »
The one I did I mated the ends and stitched it up, when it dried there was about a 1/8" gap at the seam.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 01:25:20 pm »
Hey Pearl

The guy I bought mine from said its still oily. He said that before you put it on your bow to cover it in that absorb product that you use for spilled liquid. If there is any oil left after that he said to wipe it down with acetone. Which bow you putting it on?

Cody
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 01:31:35 pm »
I scrubbed mine up with Dawn and a brush. Then I put it between several paper towels and laid a dictionary on it. It appears to be pretty clean, or at least as much as I can get from it. I treated it like carp skin basically.

Im putting it on that bow I worked on in Masrhall last weekend.

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 03:19:28 pm »
Pearl,
Next time lay a bible on it, dictionaries don't give the same mojo.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 09:19:46 am »
So far so good. I cut it to length and then left the wrap around portion 1" too long. I soaked it for an hour in luke warm water. Wrapped my grip area in plastic wrap and then wrapped the tail around the grip. I used small c clamps to hold it in place. After resting the night it dried up and shrunk down nicely to conform perfectly to the grip shape. Im going to glue narrow leather strips on the backside of the hole punch section and stitch her up tonite. Hopefully I get a chance to post the bow tonite as well, I really like how its coming down. Im excited to finish this one.

Offline autologus

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 09:31:14 am »
Sounds great, can't wait to see it.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.