Author Topic: My first arrow for fall deer season  (Read 1508 times)

Offline stickshaper23

My first arrow for fall deer season
« on: June 03, 2013, 06:23:53 pm »
Here is my first arrow with an arrow head that I am going to use this fall for deer hunting or possibly try and take a hog this summer. I made the shaft about a month ago and tested different variations of fletching and lengths until with enough work and practice this is my absolute best shooting arrow. I am yet to shoot it with the arrow head but it is alot more balanced with the head on it so Im assuming it will fly very nicely. I know most go with a taper from tip to nock but I reversed it so we will see how that goes. The arrowhead was made by stringman and he sent it to me my last trip to Afghanistan. The bow also was made by stringman. It is a wonderful smooth bow. Im not very far into the world of making bows so if you want details you'll have to ask him.

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: My first arrow for fall deer season
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 07:03:04 pm »
Looks good but will look better with blood on it. Good Luck hunting this year.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Stringman

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:51:50 pm »
Hey buddy that looks good!! I got you a box of goodies all package up and hope to get it sent twm. You're gonna love the way real feathers look and function on a well built shaft. Can't wait to see you put together a set and then take an animal with primitive gear. No feelin like it in the world!

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:41:07 pm »
Nice looking arrow.  I would put real feathers on there before I hunt with it.  Not for function just because.  I am sure someone would send you some or you can look for goose feathers around a local pond etc.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:48:26 pm »
stickshaper,
     If you can use any wild turkey feathers, or shafts, even heads.....please let me know be proud to send some (well a bunch) all my info is on my profile.
rich

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 11:48:52 pm »
Your arrow looks good but it will look better with real feathers. You should check your local game laws too. That head would be illegal here in NC because it is barbed.
 Also, I would not hunt with an arrow that I hadn't shot, complete. Its not fair to your quarry to be unprepared like that. IMO.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stickshaper23

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 10:09:37 am »
Thanks everyone you all said exactly what Ive been thinking. I went feather hunting at a lake close to the house not to long ago but its about dried up and I couldn't find a single one. But thankfully Stringman is sending me a nice care package with feathers included so Ill be able to put some true primitive arrows together while I'm still looking in my own area for materials. Rich, I would appreciate anything, I am new to the life and new to the area where I am living so I am still learning and trying to find what materials are around here as well, so I would love anything you could send. As for hunting with an arrow Ive never shot I'm sorry if I made you think that I would do that but there is no way I would do that. I just meant that I haven't shot it yet. There is no way I would ever hunt unless I know that my equipment and myself are ready. Although I will definitely make sure to ask about my broad heads.