Author Topic: A bad day in the garage is...well....a bad day in the garage  (Read 1401 times)

Offline RyanR

A bad day in the garage is...well....a bad day in the garage
« on: December 28, 2013, 08:24:33 pm »
It started out while I was working on the handle of a hickory bow and my shinto literally broke in two pieces in my hands.  I set both pieces down, walked in the house and got on line and $44 later I have a new one on the way. I guess I shouldnt have used it like a farriers rasp for roughing out a bow when I first got it. Later I decided I needed to get a money shot on a board bow that I just finished. I had my 5 year old daughter there to take the picture. I asked her if she was ready and she responded yes. I drew it back and heard a "Tick". I looked at her and said never mind.  You all know the rest.  The hickory back had some grain runoff and it popped up there. Oh well, it was good practice. >:(

Offline osage outlaw

Re: A bad day in the garage is...well....a bad day in the garage
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 09:53:43 pm »
Ouch!  I have the same shinto and that makes me nervous.  Can you sinew wrap the grain runoff or did it completely break?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 10:33:20 pm »
It's still better sitting on the couch all day :)

Offline RyanR

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:41:58 pm »
Yes, I think I could wrap it. I probably should do that. How will that affect the tiller? Yes Paul, it is better than being on the couch. I put some electrical tape on the broken end of the rasp so now I have a mini Shinto. :laugh: I finished my handle with it.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 02:27:03 am »
i believe the old saying goes...When life gives you broken Shinto's, make mini shinto's.  :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 08:14:44 am »
I wanted to mention that back grain to you Ryan, but I didn't. After a bow is done and almost sealed it doesn't do much good to point out things to the builder, so I kept my trap shut. Im sorry that backer popped on you. That's what you get for pissing around with trim lumber instead of bow wood. If you want to fix that bow? Id rawhide the whole thing with some mega thin rawhide, just sand it down. The grain is a "C" shape and needs protection tip to tip. 

Did you ask for a replacement Shinto? I would try it man. Bet they send a freebie.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 09:16:06 am »
I hate to waste a good piece of rawhide on that thing. It has no character. You are right, I am done with the trim wood. Back to staves. :laugh: