Author Topic: Stave straightening  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Stave straightening
« on: June 17, 2013, 01:45:19 pm »
Ok so news.  I've been out of the picture for a bit while I concentrate on a profesional exam preperation. . . . which I have passed.

I'm working on an Old osage stave.  First stave bow.  It has a gentle sideward arch thought and a twisted limb. 

I was able to split it into2 pieces and I'll get 2 bows out of it.  I'm working the inner piece right now andas i'm doing my layout  I'm wondering about a few things.

When I straighten the stafe should I rough it in first?  Basically get it to rough dimension THEN start straightening?  I would think that would make it easier.

aslo along one limb is a section that split out when the stave was created.  Like a little groove.  I don't know if there is enough in the wood to get below that.  If not what is the best way to fill that?  I'm guessing carve it out and fill it with a shapped wedge and TB3 glue.

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
Re: Stave straightening
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 01:54:29 pm »
I usually get them to floor tiller before I attempt any bending/straightening.

can you post a pic of the spot that split out? Hard to give advice without seeing it  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:59:03 pm by Cardboard_Duck »
>>>---------->

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 03:27:49 pm »
The bending takes place mainly in the outermost parts of the wood, especially on the compression side, the inner side of the bend.

If the piece is thinner, it will not take as much stress there from the bending.

If you bend it and then rasp off the outermost layers, the piece may well bend right back to it's original shape.

At least that's what I think  ;)
Don't shoot!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 06:17:31 pm »
I have done both with osage with good results.  Before I knew better I made dry heat corrections on osage while it was pretty darn far from finished bow dimensions, couldn't really call it roughed out even.  Now, I get them looking like a bow first.  But like I said, both ways have worked for me.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:21:21 pm »
Pretty close to finished dimensions for me.  Finished actually.  Like Carson, I have done it earlier but no need to bend a lot of wood that will end up on the floor.  If I am recurving, I may leave a good bit to account for splintering on the belly, but straightening no.  The split out sounds no bueno.  Picture will help.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.