Author Topic: new red oak board bow  (Read 2939 times)

Offline mikebarg

new red oak board bow
« on: May 20, 2013, 11:40:04 am »
Just finished roughing this out. It's 60" red oak flat bow. The string is a little long, 0 brace height and it's stretching a little.

Offline Sasquatch

Re: new red oak board bow
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 11:44:21 am »
cool

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 11:55:23 am »
Just twist the string and it will become shorter
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 06:11:21 pm »
Tiller looks good :)
Time for the short string! No more lingering with that long string! Get a true bowstring as this nylon rope will stretch more than you think. It will continue to mislead you. Full brace height of about 6" can already be achieved as this point, without further wood removal. What draw weight are you at, at the draw length pictured?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline mikebarg

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 06:43:34 pm »
I haven't checked the draw weight yet. That is pulled back to 24". I'm going to make up a string for it to get the brace height to 6". Then I'll check the weight.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 06:59:27 pm »
When I first started I never used the long string much, now I like to floor tiller as much as possible and get a short string on, so its braced to about 3 inches. I work on that for a while till I'm comfortablely pulling about 24-26". Then I re-brace it to 5-6 inches and get the final tillering done...and pulling 28-29 inches and hopefully hitting my target weight.  And That's it Bob's your uncle. ;)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 07:02:30 pm »
Looks pretty thick. Make sure it is not too heavy before you string it. I like the future bow to bearound 10-15# over final draw length. There a re buildalongs on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mikebarg

Re: new red oak board bow -CRACK!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 11:45:37 am »
I've been slowly thinning this bow down to around 40# at 24". I was exercising it ,pulling it to 20" and CRACK!. dang!!!

Offline Matt A

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 03:09:42 pm »
looks like the grain ran off?

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 05:57:49 pm »
Looks like a tension crack to me. Have done that with a board bow(my first one... tried to draw a 45" board 28")
Try filling it with something, back the bow and it might survive depending on where it is.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 10:20:13 pm »
There is an old saying, "the bow ain't broke until the backs broke".   Well....I'm sorry to say, the back is broke.   If you try to salvage that, you stand a very good chance of getting hurt and zero chance of success.  It ain't worth it!  Start a new one and good luck!  Josh