Author Topic: New set of atlatl fishing spears  (Read 6648 times)

Offline Patches

New set of atlatl fishing spears
« on: June 13, 2013, 10:16:12 am »
I made a new set of fishing spears a few weeks ago.  I roughly based my spear design on arrows used in the Northwest and Alaska for otter hunting.  I used 3/8 inch oak dowels for the inserts, and the main shaft is made of river cane.  I sharpened the dowels with a file.  then I drilled a hole in them and inserted a piece of metal from a coat hanger to make my barb.  I then drilled a hole in the other end of the insert, where I tied one end of my line.  I then wrapped about 20 ft of line around the main shaft, and tied the other end off to the main shaft.   My idea is that when I stick the insert through a fish, the insert will come out of the main shaft, holding the fish between the barb and the string, and I can get the main shaft and pull the fish in.  I did not put fletching on them since they are being thrown into the water.

I was hoping to post pictures of the fish I had killed with my spears, but after 5 fishing trips, I realize that I cannot hit a carp or gar with them to save my life  :-[!  However, I have stuck the spear tips into logs, drifts, and the mud, and with the exception of having to sharpen the points, they seem to work like I want them to.  One insert does not come out of the main shaft as easily as I would like, but a little filing will fix that.  Thanks for looking!   
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: New set of atlatl fishing spears
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 10:19:23 am »
Very cool.  8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:15:30 pm »
That is wayyyy too cool. You have just convinced me to make and try an atatl.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:05:57 am »
Ah, those fish are scared of ya patches.  They know a predator when they see one!  I'd run (swim away) too.

Fine job on those spears.  I had the privilege of examining those in person and they are sweet.  Nice craftsmanship indeed.

Ya know you were the one that introduced me to the atlatl almost 20 year ago.  Now you share them with folks on the world wide web. Keep it up.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:17:55 am by swamp monkey »

Offline dmanwarren

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 01:17:39 am »
Very cool, here's a couple of mine. One is made out of fiberglass fence post and the other is made out of bamboo and antler. Sure is fun when you connect. Dave

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 07:52:04 pm »
Those are WAY KUUL Patches!

OneBow