Author Topic: Odds of exploding arrows?  (Read 17760 times)

Offline paulsemp

Re: Odds of exploding arrows?
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2013, 11:52:20 pm »
If you are shooting a 2" wide at the handle bow with a 3"brace height there is you answer for why your nocks are snapping. A nock is not made for side to side stress. And I am very curious as to how you can shoot a 3" brace. I am sure with those jute strings that they stretch enough to kill your hand after release. 

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2013, 12:02:10 am »
If you are shooting a 2" wide at the handle bow with a 3"brace height there is you answer for why your nocks are snapping. A nock is not made for side to side stress. And I am very curious as to how you can shoot a 3" brace. I am sure with those jute strings that they stretch enough to kill your hand after release.

+1
I like osage

Offline sleek

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2013, 02:48:30 am »
This thread got me thinking of packing a cane arrow up with black powder, inserting a primer cap, and putting a field point over the cap.... That really sounds like fun to me... :D
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2013, 06:00:46 am »
 ;) ;D ;D ;D still at it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sleek

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2013, 06:15:55 am »
For the heck of it, I will say the young kid has a point. Modern arrows are spined for center shot bows. They dont have to paradox around a wide handle like we shoot from. His bow he mentioned  has a 2 inch wide handle ( huge ) and an arrow that isnt supposed to paradox much is being forced around a corner on his bow. He does have an extreme situation, but I would believe he is correct in his extrema situation. He is making arrows do what they were not intended to do, so I think they could break on him.

Now, why and how the 2 inch wide handle you mention and 3 inch brace height?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2013, 04:21:39 pm »
Stuffing a Jutte string inside of a plastic nock probably doesen't help the stress situation, either.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2013, 05:32:19 pm »
Stuffing a Jutte string inside of a plastic nock probably doesen't help the stress situation, either.
nope, it doesn't. but usually the nocks break on the alumnium, the shaft itself on carbons.
You should have seen my wrist after shooting with the 3" brace height... it was bumpy. didn't hurt a lot. 
Funny thing though, self nocks don't seem to break on that particular bow(my old string for the longbow, made it the length of the bow... could only twist so far)
Not even the willow ones.
Even with a 1.5" wide handle on a stiff-handle elm shortbow, with a 5" brace height(and 2" limbs.. I posted about its sister stave) I still break the modern arrows.
Now, with my longbow, it has a copper arrow plate, 5" or so brace height, etc. You know the specs. I still break carbon shafts right above vanes. Nocks are perfectly fine. I have only broken 1 plastic nock on the carbons. I have broken either shaft, nock, or both on almost every alumnium. 
All I had for a while was carbon arrows and that bow.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"