Author Topic: Hello from Kansas!  (Read 3096 times)

Offline reminniear

Hello from Kansas!
« on: September 20, 2013, 03:34:56 pm »
I guess this is the right place for introductions...
About a year ago I switched from working 60-80 hours per week to a hard 40.  This has given me tons of extra play time, so I've made a couple of bee hives, a chicken coop, numerous bookcases, and most recently a board bow.

Bee's are doing good, I've got some wax and about 5 lbs of honey.  Chickens are starting to lay.  Bookcases are, well, holding books.

The board bow?  Not so good. 
After watching some youtube and reading TBB vol 1&2, I picked up a maple board from the local Home Depot.  It was a truly horrible selection of wood, but I grabbed what I still think was one of the better turds in the pile.
The bow looked decent at brace, but while stretching it a few inches further, I heard a crack. Nothing dramatic, but the bottom limb is done, stick a fork in it done. 

Sticking with the motto "If you're not breaking bows, you're not making bows", I'm not giving up.  However, I don't really look forward to hitting the hardware store to look thru another pile. 
While wondering the woods around my creek, I came across a relatively straight hedge tree.  At least a section of it is straight.  It has a diameter of right around 8 inches. 

(trying to attach a pic)

Do you think there might be a bow hiding in there?  I hope so, unless someone sees a reason not to, then I think I'll get to play with my chainsaw soon.

Thanks!

REM

Offline Josh B

Re: Hello from Kansas!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 11:28:28 pm »
First things first, welcome aboard!  What part of KS are you from?  There are a few of us from KS on here, but we're pretty well spread out across the eastern half of the state.  There's definitely a few staves in that hedge tree.  I can't make out the bark all that good on my phone screen, but it looks like it ought to work.  You've already figured out how to post pics, so that's good. We like lotsa pics.  ;)  Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 12:21:11 am »
Like Doc says, we like pics.  Most of us can't read, but we sure can look the heck outa them pictures!

Welcome to the jungle.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline reminniear

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 12:35:58 pm »
I'm just south of the Kansas City Metro, around Louisburg, which is definitely in the eastern half of KS.  Any further east and I'd be in  Missouri. 

REM

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 12:44:09 pm »
Well you are in luck!  Sadie and the west bottom bowyers are right there in KC.  They meet almost every Wednesday to shoot and build bows and various other accoutrements.  They love helping someone get started.  They even put up with me dropping in every once in a while.  Take a look in the club section for Sadie's threads for more info.  Josh