Author Topic: Got my first Yeeeeeeeeew!!!!  (Read 6694 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Got my first Yeeeeeeeeew!!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 01:55:12 pm »
Yew can put up with a fair amount of bend/twist/run off and other problems in an ELB.
Just my experience, hence my earlier advice.
If you have half a log, you can still lay a bow out on the diagonal or following a twist. I still maintain you have more control with a bandsaw.
I'm sure you could bandsaw it on the twist if you really insist on having some twist.
Twist ain't half the problem it's made out to be anyhow (IMO again)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 07:21:36 pm »
That is awefull twisted, but I think you can get something from it...good luck. :D
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline WillS

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 07:39:47 pm »
That looks like a "lay out the bow along the twist then heat straighten the beejeezus out of it" job.  Best advice I got about dealing with twist within a log was on here, and somebody said "imagine you could magically wrestle the log straight, lay the bow out then let the log twist back up again."  That way you won't be dealing with crazy sapwood ratio changes and grain run off etc like you would if you pretended the twist wasn't there.

Get the pan of boiling water ready, and a heat gun.  You're gonna need 'em ;)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 09:08:10 pm »
lucky yew ;)  just want to caution that just beacuse it was down for 4 years does not necessarily mean it will be nice and dry.  Be sure to dry the stave at least a week or two after you unlock it from that log and have it reduced to near bow-dimensions.  If you are not experienced splitting yew, and you have access to a bandsaw that can handle that, then I would vote for band saw.  Splitting logs with twist and large branches like that can be quite tricky.  look forward to the bows tha come of it. 

And keep billets on your mind when cutting it.  Long logs tend to get me thinking warbow and elb, but don't step over three nice pairs of billets for one stave.

I disagree I wouldnt touch it with a band saw .
I like osage

mikekeswick

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 04:15:17 am »
That is one twisted and checked mother of a yew log.......personally I probably wouldn't bother with it....but thats just me and I have lots of nice yew staves  ;)
My advice is split it and like others have said keep a good look out for potential billets. Billets from big pieces are normally the way to go. If you split a pair side by side and they are twisted you can orientate them so that the twists are 'cancelled' out.

Offline QuercusNW

• How to Make a Bow and Arrow
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 04:19:36 am »
Why not Joe? Because it's best to hand split?

I hand split a similar size (and twisted) yew stave. It had about 90 degrees of twist over 6 feet of distance. I figured it was not worth the effort.

What's the most amount of twist anyone has made a bow with?

Dan
Making bows is a journey, not a destination.

SurvivalMastery.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 07:59:45 am »
I agree with Del,I would split it right down the center with a band saw and deal with the 2 halfs. Haven't done much Yew but have delt with a lot of twisted logs.
You will loose some because of grain run off but not as much as you are likely to loose splitting. :)  QuercusNW about 90 degrees,but it wasn't yew,it was Osage. Heat gun and go at it with sage. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Hamish

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 10:05:42 pm »
Because there is already a split in the base of the trunk, splitting is the best way. With this log you have to deal with radial twist, and some longitudinal twist at the same time. This will happen automatically when splitting. A bandsaw, you can only stear in one plane at once, if the grain changes radially, like it does in this log(pith to bark), you can't change it safely mid cut, without risking breakage of the blade, especially with a 10" dia log in the round.
There is no doubt a bandsaw is the most economical method when you want maximum board ft, or the log is a straight trunk with straight grain. Even will a bandmill set up, the log needs either one flat surface to ride over the table and not twist mid cut, or it needs to be dogged on either end of the mill so it won't turn during the cut.
Work with the grain and don't disregard it at this stage.Same again with the cracks that have already developed in the end grain. Sure there is some leeway once it is split into quarters, when you can see exactly how the grain runs, then you can tell if bandsawing really is an option.
Otherwise you might get only one bow, rather than half a dozen.

Whatever path you decide on take pictures and show us the results. Good luck.
      Hamish.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 03:04:35 am »
From looking at the pic, I persOnally would saw it off crosswise at the saw nick in the pic. I would measure down as close to 40 inches as I could get then saw lengthwise at a slight angle following the twist of the tree for billets. You split it you may regret it. I cut lots of yew....I ALWAYS saw it.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 07:16:11 am »
@ Hamish
'A bandsaw, you can only stear in one plane at once'.
You must have the cleanest straightest cuttin' bestest bandsaw in the whole wide world... that baby must be worth a fortune  ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline adb

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 03:52:56 pm »
Split it in half and then 1/4 saw it into boards. Back it with ash, maple (my favourite) or hickory and there will be dozens of bows in that log.

Online Hamish

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 09:24:45 pm »
Hi Del,  Yes my bandsaw is a piece of crap, but it has a good blade and I know how to tune it to perfection. :)  I have twisted my fair share of blades trying to cut some stupid logs, and freehand cuts not just bowstaves, but lots of treen.
                                                            Hamish