Author Topic: Problems W/ Alligator skin!  (Read 2098 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Problems W/ Alligator skin!
« on: June 04, 2013, 01:32:17 pm »
Gotta make this quick. I just lost a real long post about this.

Got a salted alligator belly from buddy's dad. I resalted and refridged for a few weeks before I had time to streach. I dumped most of salt off, and streached it a week or so ago, I posted it.  Storing in a dirt floored garage/pole barn, already not the driest place.  It was almost dry, then came the rains and late spring weather and now it seems to have rehydrated w/ the snake that was streached next to it to.  Enitially the ants got on it real bad, but i felt that was ok, they seemed to know something I didn't, like get the salt off this thing.  I have it in the shade and breeze now, snake is almost dry, gator nearly dripping. Doesn't stink, though, well..kinda fishy, but not bad.

On another note, my wife brought home a roadkilll snake on Saturday while I was entertaining some French folks and they thought that was great.  First time one of them had ever seen a real snake and they both love hillbillys. Anyway, that skin is dry already.

I'm thinking of rinsing the gator skin in water or w/ the hose to remove the salt.  I've broomed what I can off, may try a brush next.  Anythoughts would be considered.  Eddie?

Thanks,dpgratz
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:36:09 pm by bowtarist »
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline bowtarist

Re: Problems W/ Alligator skin!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:37:26 pm »
25 views and no replys?  Dang!

I let the sun get on it abit today and it's drying out nicely.  MAybe able to his it w/ a brush once dry and get some more of the salt off.

Still looking for ideas!! dp

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 07:15:08 pm »
Man salt that Gator good and send it to American Tanning and leather and have it tanned.....do it right and make some good leather.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:28:51 pm »
25 views and no replys?  Dang!

Probably not a lot of people on here that have any experience with gator skins. lol
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:38:34 pm »
I just got home from out of town and saw this. Yes, get all of the salt off. Scape it down real good and put it out in the hot sun stretched out till it is real dry. It should be fine then. That's how the one Pappy had the squirrels liked to snack on was done.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 12:46:36 pm »
Eddie, yesterdays outside stint went pretty good. it is dry. I let the sun hit it mid afternoon and that made a big difference.  I'm still gonna scrape on it some to get the salt off more for fear of it drawing moisture from the air.  I'll post again this eve.  It is dry enough to take off the rack right now.

Thanks guys, bb77- I ain't got that kinda $denaro,

PT, what does that matter, people comment on all sorts of stuff on here.  ;) ::) thanks for the reply.

Mullett, You say I gotta watch out for the squirrels now too?!? Thanks Buddy!! dpg   

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 03:35:02 pm »
Derik, they ate the one Pappy had. I've had the boogers chew a rattlesnake skin full of holes on a Yew bow of mine, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jeanette

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 03:03:12 am »
Bow, make sure your gator has the metal tag still on the hide.

It takes a lot of running water to get rid of all that salt then you can work the hide and hang it . One of the things I use to do when I did hides was find and old dryer that dose not have heat but the motor runs throw the hides in the tumbler along with some canvis bags filled with sand (double bagI found that out the hard way. Do not fill the bags all the way). Let the dryer run for a few days checking the hides at least once a day and you will have some nice soft hides.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 07:35:46 am »
Ya they eat mine off the wall,salt will draw moisture,so get as much of that off as you can,the problem is that if you don't tan it is some way it's just rawhide and will come and go with the humidity,you can get it dry now but as soon as it get in
a damp place or high humidity it will be wet again. Jeanette that's a good idea,do you put the hide in wet or after you get it parsley dry,or completely dry,been looking for a way to keep from pulling on a hide for 4 or 5 hours after brain tanning. Sorry for the hijack bowtarist. ;) :)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:41:24 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 11:25:32 am »
"Sorry for the hijack bowtarist." No worries Pappy,  I keep learning regardless of the topic.  ;)dpg