Author Topic: Weird PVC pipe clusters - any ideas?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
Weird PVC pipe clusters - any ideas?
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:51:14 am »
Greetings,

I'm hoping that someone can help me figure these out. They're all over the grassy areas in the parking lot at my work. They look like capped pipes, but why would there be clusters of them? I've included some pics, one closeup and two examples.

Any ideas? I would appreciate it!

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline Marks

Re: Weird PVC pipe clusters - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 11:18:57 am »
Where do you work?

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 11:28:50 am »
Kinda look like Monitor Well clusters.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:32:58 am »
If you work near a sewer plant, DO NOT REMOVE THE CAPS !!!  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:31:21 pm »
if its in the parking lot they could be capped conduit for power to feed future street lights. have seen people use them for water system valve protectors.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 03:13:25 pm »
I work at Anne Arundel Community College, in Arnold, MD. The campus was a farm about 50 years ago. I heard from a local historian that the owner allowed people to dump on certain parts of his property for a fee. This info was confirmed when I found a county document from five years ago detailing the locations of 'private' dumps and proposing cleanup solutions.

The interesting thing is that I believe I found the dumpsite, but this whole hill behind the school (the parking lot) has clusters of these pipe caps all over the place. Could these possibly be caps for pipes that vent methane? Or are they all monitor wells? If so, why would they be clustered?

If my theory is correct, does it mean that the entire hillside parking lot is built on top of a landfill?

Thanks for your help! I think you've all confirmed what I was thinking.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 04:20:15 pm »
they are probably for future communication boxes. buy me they are green boxes about 4 feet tall that you will see the telephone and internet low voltage electrition working on. that pipe probably only goes down about 4 feet and then turns 90 and runs to another destination.  they use big PVC so they could pull looms of wire through it.  they are all together in clusters so they come up into one box as a junction point. just a guess though from what I've seen

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 04:22:43 pm »
i'm with paul, back in the day I used to install futures like that all the time
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:07:35 pm »
I was thinking the same as Paul, they are just stubbed up pipes for future expansion. When ever we do that at work we use grey schedule 80 PVC though.
>>>---------->

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 10:02:38 pm »
Might be an entrance to the other deminsion,,  never know   :-\
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 12:27:28 pm »
If they're for communication boxes, why would they have them every 100 feet or so? Isn't that kind of excessive?

Besides that bit of doggonemess-logic, I bet you guys might be right. I wouldn't expect that a parking lot would be built on a landfill. It wouldn't be safe, and the ground would eventually settle, right?

Thanks!