Author Topic: What to do with ERC pins/knots?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
What to do with ERC pins/knots?
« on: June 22, 2013, 01:23:55 am »
I have a 70" beautiful stave, two knots which I saw were loose and I pushed out. Should I epoxy them back in? I don't think I left any extra wood around them. Bendy-handled, 6" up from center.  What do you think?
Michael
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: What to do with ERC pins/knots?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 03:04:24 am »
I'd be tempted to find/ make a peg slightly larger than the hole and fill the hole with the sound wood, rather than the knots.   Unfortunately that still leaves a weak point on the back.  ERC does well with backings though I think it should work.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline ohma2

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 12:05:39 pm »
use some hard wood pegs or ive used deer antler pegs.dont mahe them over size just make them fit nicely into the holes you dont want to put pressure on the wood on the edge cause it will split it on the out side edge. i use super glue to hold them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 12:30:01 pm »
The back would be more of a concern than the belly. I would fill then with epoxy mixed with sawdust.  I put super glue on all intact knots and pins on the back just for insurance.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chadwick

• Primal Archery
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 01:59:24 pm »
So nobody suggests gluing back in the wood that was already in those holes? They may be soft, but I'm certain that those 'pegs' are the right size and shape.
Curiouser and Curiouser.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 12:12:28 am »
So nobody suggests gluing back in the wood that was already in those holes? They may be soft, but I'm certain that those 'pegs' are the right size and shape

The loose knots are  a) loose  b) suspect due to end grain exposure  c)  the holes probably have a slight ring of bark or decayed wood lining.
That's why I suggested a slightly over-sized peg.   I should also have said that I would then slightly enlarge the hole to match.   I know I saw a thread where similar dutchman were placed on the belly of a yew bow.  Anybody else remember that thread? 
The back of the bow would still need reinforcement.      Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Chadwick

• Primal Archery
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 12:40:44 am »
Thanks. I made little dowels from a small chunk of whale rib bone, not sure if I did it right, but I'll go ahead and throw some rawhide on there, too.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 03:04:07 am »
There was a real cool post that had an ERC longbow with osage dowels and it looked to have worked real well. Is that the one I sent ya?