Author Topic: ? for PNW'rs  (Read 6606 times)

Offline Lemos

Re: ? for PNW'rs
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 02:06:38 am »
None taken. Just ribbin ya a bit ;D 

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 03:37:25 am »
ARROW SHAFTS!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Japbow

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 04:48:01 am »

Every part of the Yew tree except the
      berries (minus the seed) is extremely
      poisonous!!! Yes, a cancer drug is
      derived from it but eating it will kill you!

Japbow.

Offline half eye

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 09:00:19 am »
If there is anyway at all, you'll make a bow out of it....my money is on the driver
rich

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 09:17:57 am »
Too bad, Josh. I can see you now cuttin that stuff with a big grin thinkin you hit the mother-lode!! ;D
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 09:48:05 am »
Woulda' fooled my osage mind to Josh!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline WillS

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 10:08:20 am »
Gun doc you would still be OK feeding on the Pacific Yew,

Ummm....

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 10:15:37 am »
I remember reading in an old book something along the lines of "hemlock was considered a replacement for yew when yew was scarce". I don't remember the book, but I do remember reading it, as after I did I went out looking intentionally for some hemlock,  ;D. I suspect if this was really so, it was probably because hemlock looks like yew (from the outside I guess) and back then most people thought only yew would give a good longbow for some reason. I also remember laburnum being mentioned as well.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 11:15:31 am »
Gun doc you would still be OK feeding on the Pacific Yew, needles and inner bark have medicinal value. Taxinol cancer fighter and has great immune support. The berries no buano I'm told their Poisson. Beyond all that no matter which tree they both taste like S*#t. Good luck with the search.

I'm not positive however I do believe You do NOT want to eat any part of the YEW tree as I believe it is poisons. Better safe than dead. Ed 
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 01:31:14 pm »
Josh, hemlock is the one that always catches my eye when I am road-hunting for yew.  It is understandable.    I have cut a few myself with the idea of experimenting with it as bow wood.  It is right up there with sitka spruce for compression strength/weight.  I think if you follow blackhawk's recipe you might have a killer bow.  I hope it works because the stuff is so common and grows much straighter and cleaner than yew.

If you are down near Salem, feel free to stop by!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Josh B

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 01:49:52 pm »
Don't worry fellas! There are so many cherries and berries all over this place that eating any tree leaves wasn't even considered.  However, if yew leaves are poisonous and I'm pretty sure they are it is good to clear that up!  I've read that the natives did make some concoctions and remedies with the leaves but they had millennia of practice to know how much and how to process it. I can see where it could lead to confusion.  The good news is today I'm going back up and with guides to help this flatlander from doing something else stupid! Lol!  Carson, I do believe that you will be a scheduled stop.  I'm looking forward to that as well!  This is turning out to be an awesome trip!  Ive already met steelslinger and now a few more!  Cool! 8)  Josh

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 02:00:26 pm »
Out my way the tree hackers call it Hem-Fir cause the stuff is sold as fir quite a bit. Pretty light wood though. Less dense than Doug Fir.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

blackhawk

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 02:02:16 pm »
Hey josh....save me a piece brother ;)  8)

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 04:33:01 pm »
after watching Ryan put poplar overlays on a poplar bow, nothing would surprise me

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 04:55:08 pm »
Beyond all that no matter which tree they both taste like S*#t.

HAHAHA.... now that is FUNNY!

Sorry it wasn't Yew Gun Doc...
I say give her a whirl... What the heck?  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX