Author Topic: removing labels from beer/wine bottles  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

removing labels from beer/wine bottles
« on: June 24, 2013, 11:37:17 pm »
my neighbor makes his own beer and wine. I helped him remove the labels from about 50 wine bottles, and about 100 beer bottles.
He soaks them overnight in a large tub filled with an oxyclean(an oxygen bleach) and water. The wine bottle labels can be scraped off, then scrubbed with steel wool. The beer bottles pretty much just fall off.
It seems rather a ton of work to do a few hundred bottles(he said that each batch of beer will fill from 45 to 50 bottles, and he makes multiple batches at a time)... expecially the wine bottles. Is there a better way?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: removing labels from beer/wine bottles
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:58:10 pm »
No.  When you try to do it without oxyclean, you will understand that it is the biggest miracle to happen to homebrewers since malt extract.

You should ask for his rejects to knap points out of. 
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:17:02 am »
No.  When you try to do it without oxyclean, you will understand that it is the biggest miracle to happen to homebrewers since malt extract.

You should ask for his rejects to knap points out of.
I help him strip labels, he gives me beer bottles.
He gave me about a dozen to make points out of already(he says they are too short...) and I am going to help him tommorow as well. he has a box of rejects he gives me. But here is the problem- how on earth do you get the bottom without smashing the bottle and getting glass everywhere? If I can get the bottoms without doing that, it will massively simplify cleanup. Also... what is malt extract? I know you make beer from barley, hops, and something else..
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 12:49:04 am »
drop a 16 penny nail head first in the bottle.  Put one hand on the bottom and the other over the top.  Shake it a few times and the bottom should pop right off. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 06:07:11 am »
drop a 16 penny nail head first in the bottle.  Put one hand on the bottom and the other over the top.  Shake it a few times and the bottom should pop right off. 

that's how I do it but I put the bottle in a plastic bag and don't hold the bottom, bag keeps the glass from going everywhere and the bottom don't hit the ground
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 08:18:06 am »
Goof Off label remover works great.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 11:29:22 am »
White vinegar removes glue and labels pretty quick.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 11:49:33 am »
here is a video, she shows how to remove the bottom with a nail. Ed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh7pc2Q6XFI
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 02:23:02 pm »
Thanks.
I don't think goo off would work on a few hundred bottles.
white vinger... Hm.. Ill mention it.

Offline Patches

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 02:57:44 pm »
I use lighter fluid to clean labels off glass jars for my wife.  Not sure you want that around a bottle you are going to put drinks in but it works for me.  I soak the jars in water, scrape off as much of the label as possible, the just soak a litttle cotton cloth with lighter fluid and rub it over the sticky areas.
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 01:35:01 pm »
I just use really hot water/steam - labels come off pretty easy and then the glue rolls up with the roll of a thumb.