Author Topic: Yew bark backing  (Read 2396 times)

Offline steve b.

Yew bark backing
« on: June 23, 2013, 02:25:24 am »
I was looking at the inner bark that came off some yew that I was peeling and noticed it had good color and fiber and I thought it might make an interesting backing on some bow in the future.  The outer bark flakes off and leaves a waxy, reddish,  inner bark and cambium layer.  I dried it and sanded down a piece.  It doesn't crack or break when bent but bends and flexes back to straight.  I'll give it more dry time and experiment with coating it with tru oil and/or TBIII.

I took this stave and attempted to peel the bark off in larger sheets than the previous.  It came off nicely.  I flaked off the outer bark and now will let it dry.  It was a beautiful evening outside so I thought I'd pop a few pics and share and maybe get some feedback that might help me prep this stuff for a future bow.

Offline steve b.

Re: Yew bark backing
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 02:33:26 am »
What the heck....here's my lodge pole pine war bow.  80+ inches and starting to bend.....

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 02:43:47 am »
I just removed the bark on my yew stave and the edge parts were dry and very brittle.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 03:51:56 am »
That pinkish cambioum layer is horrible stuff, when it's a seasoned log it comes off like dust, grabs you round the troat and wrestles you to the floor.
I don't have any reaction to anyother aspects of working Yew, but that dust is a choker.
I made a big longbow a while back and left the cambium on as a protection for the back during tillering, it popped off in spectacular fashion with a crack like a rifle shot. Ended up with the most perfect back I've ever seen on a Yew bow  :)
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/starting-to-bend-big-bow.html
In the next post you can actually see a bit pop off in the video!
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/big-bow-braced.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:19:18 am »
Cool.I removed the bark in a long sheet fron some irish yew here a while back too layed it flat then layed a few 2"X4"s' on it to flatten it.I don't know might fool with it later thinning it to maybe put on a bows' back.Trouble is that backing has to get at least 1/32" thin or less to be useful.Either by hand or over to a drum sander.Like Del said the dust is'nt very nice stuff to inhale.Heard bad stories about that.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 12:45:16 pm »
I like how your'e always trying new things Steve.  It ill be interesting to see how this turns out.  I read an article recently on pine bows, they make a fine shooter.

Cheers!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 03:23:26 pm »
I was thinking a yew bark quiver might be cool.  I am interested to see how that backing turns out.   Wylden Freeborn was telling me that treating fresh removed tree bark in wood ash solution strengthens it.  Might be worth trying. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 08:15:18 pm »
That pine bow is looking awesome. never tried pine before.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 12:21:13 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Just trying to keep it fun.

I found some more bow wood today but there was a bear standing on it so I left.  I posted the details in the hunting/shooting forum :laugh: