Author Topic: Shortbow from mapel  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Amkap

• Take the path less traveled.
Shortbow from mapel
« on: June 27, 2013, 01:19:20 pm »
So I have a lot of goooood straight grained maple left over from my longbow making and I want to make a short bow but I don't know what dimensions I should use to start with. All my longbows are about 68" ad they are about 50# at a draw length of 28. I would like to make a short bow no longer than 54 inches with like 35#. Idont care about the draw length . That can be what ever will get me to 35#. Again just looking for what dimensions I should use to start out with. Any and all help would me much appreciated.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Shortbow from mapel
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 02:52:04 pm »
An unbacked 54" maple board might get you a 23-24" draw. Make it a 2" wide pyramid style and you might get lucky.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 05:42:27 pm »
you can also go 1 1/4" wide center 10" and straight taper to 1/2" tips bendy , with good grain and great tillering you might get 26-27" draw at that #
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 07:25:29 pm »
The only bow i ever had explode on me was made from maple, busted my eye and smashed my lip, It sounded like a shotgun going off when it went. So be carefull. I havent picked up a piece of maple since.  :-[