Author Topic: how to keep stuff neat..  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

how to keep stuff neat..
« on: July 04, 2013, 02:13:39 pm »
OK. So I don't get to work on bows often cause when I do I generally don't get most of the shavings up. They go everywhere.
How to do shaving control with a hand plane?
Also where the heck should I store my bow, cause I stored my red oak longbow in the garage and it took a lot of set when I shot it next time and it had lost weight. I don't want to ruin a beautiful tri-lam. Also, how to moth/insect/water/bacteria/rot/fungi-proof feathers, arrows, etc?
I tried storing some turkey feathered arrows in the garage. They are ruined.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Joec123able

Re: how to keep stuff neat..
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 02:22:03 pm »
Do you store you bow standing in a corner ?
I like osage

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 03:26:29 pm »
Do you store you bow standing in a corner ?
Yea. I had to. If oak gets bent standing in a corner, I can probably throw it on the woodpile under the workbench.
I can't put it in the house... parents don't like bows, arrows, feathers, etc in the house.
 I might be able to persuade them to let me store a bow in the basement... but I need a really good reason.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 05:38:09 pm »
Honestly for storage I like to use a peg on the wall and hang my bows straight up and down with the peg between the string and the bell. If you can do that in your garage that is what I'd suggest.
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 06:46:17 pm »
Put your turkey feathers in a plastic bag and then into the freezer.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 08:27:48 pm »

All the above, but you said your "arrows" were ruined in the garage.  Put them in the plastic bag, and if you can, put them in the freezer, or just put some cedar shavings, or moth balls in the bag,with the arrows and tie it up well. and hang it up.  Use a heavy duty garbage bag, or a couple of them inside one another.  If you are going to hunt with the arrows, just use cedar, or real cedar oil.
                                                                       Wayne

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 01:22:51 am »

All the above, but you said your "arrows" were ruined in the garage.  Put them in the plastic bag, and if you can, put them in the freezer, or just put some cedar shavings, or moth balls in the bag,with the arrows and tie it up well. and hang it up.  Use a heavy duty garbage bag, or a couple of them inside one another.  If you are going to hunt with the arrows, just use cedar, or real cedar oil.
                                                                       Wayne
yea, the fletchings were. I don't consider a bow that draws around #60 with 3" of set ruined. I might be able to use ERC shavings, would that work? I can get a garbage bag easy.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 03:05:19 am »
I would either hang your bow on the wall on lay it flat on the floor. tho it may seem stupid standing a bow in a corner after shooting can cause set to happen I had a honey locust bow that had 1 1/2 inchs of set it stood in a corner for 8 months straight I took it out shot it and it now has over 3 inchs of set so I'm confident standing a bow in a corner is not good for it
I like osage

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 07:18:03 am »
I keep my finished bows in the house, ;) Keep my feathers in an ammo box that has been fogged with bug spray,if you have a humidity problem in the shop as I do in the summer you can stop molding and such by keeping it well ventilated with windows open and I keep a fan running all summer, it keeps the air moving and really helps. Freezer for feathers/sinew/rawhide will work also,just don't have room for all that in my freezer.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 01:01:02 pm »
I keep all my bows in my room next to my bed. I have about 5 longbows.
London, England.

45#@28"