Author Topic: an observation about lightbulbs  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

an observation about lightbulbs
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:06:51 pm »
OK, some math about lightbulbs and air conditioning and heating units-

Me being the crazy kid I am, I was reading a book the other day and thought about those tungsten-filament light bulbs(I think they are called incandescent...).
The information I am about to quote and post is from 2 books and the internet.

Lets say you have a 3 light-bulb fixture in each room of your house^(which has 12 rooms and 4 hallways with 4 bulbs each) and you use 100 watt bulbs(yea, its usually 120 or 80, I know, but 100 is simpler to work with).
An average incandescent light bulb ranges from 2-10 percent efficient*(e.g 10% of the electricity is converted to light).  We will use 5% for simplicity. Almost all the remaining energy is converted to heat. So 3 light bulbs per fixture put out (95x 3) 285 watts of heat. Multiply that by the # of rooms in your house(12 for this example, a 3 bedroom 4 bathroom house, finished basement) gives 3420 watts of heat.
 That excludes hallways- 4 bulbs each, 4 hallways, for total 16 bulbs- an additional 1520 watts of heat. That is 4940 watts of heat. Equal to running 5 kilowatt space heaters every day, while your AC is trying to work! That is insane!
OK, Ill admit 3 bulbs per room is pretty inaccurate. Ill use me house as an example to show actual statistics. I will not post each room, just total bulbs. 
basement total- 25 bulbs, 20 65 w, 5 60 w.  main level- 20, all 100W minus some lamps~, Upper level- 24 bulbs, 14 60 w  10 120 w.
Also although the bulb wattages aren't perfectly accurate(no I did not go look at each bulb. I guessed for many- I know the flood bulbs in basement are 65W, but I do not know the bulbs over the sink wattage- guessing at 60. I know the lamps are dual-setting 120 watt- 60 and 120 settings. Mostly used on 120 w, sometimes 60.
Also, lets not forget this- the human body puts out about 100w at rest(4 humans here at home), refrigerator is probably around 700w(it draws 850, motor is under 100w, almost all electricity is turned to heat in one way or another, plus its on 24-7. TV is on a lot( I don't watch it though..) so about 500w based on internet data for heat output of TV. Plus the 2 computers are about 50 each, not on all the time though. This includes the chargers and printer. the stove isn't super efficiant- note that it cools off and sends that heat into the kitchen air. Also note this- you heat stuff to cook and warm it. Very little of the heat is used to chemically alter the food. Most of it just warms it- and where does that heat go when it cools? Into the air, but its not on all the time, so I am going to say 200w. ! Plus the dishwasher(although that doesn't put out a lot, it only runs for an hour or so, so I am not going to count it). We have a small warm-blooded mammal with fur, probably puts out about 15-20w heat. the sun adds some through windows, hot showers, etc. are being ignored.  So lets total this- 400w+700+500+100+200...=1600w. This is most likely wayyy under the real total, but I am not going to try to measure the heat coming from everything. I am ignoring the following sources of heat- cable box, cooling lightbulbs(after turning off), chemical reactions, washer/dryer, computer monitor, telephone, transformers/chargers(remember how hot they get?), showers, water heater heat loss, pipe heat loss, additional heat from humans due to physical activity, and many others.

so lightbulb total heat output= 5650
estimated other sources=1600
Total estimated heat= 7250 watts during the day, about half that at night.
AC is off at night though.
So lightbulbs do contribute a lot to the heat in your house! If you have a lot of stuff on, during the winter, and its not super cold outside, you could get by with very little heat.
BTW my data on appliances was obtained in 2 ways- internet and by looking at the wattages of each appliance.

Isn't it surprising that lightbulbs contribute a lot to cooling costs- about 70% from this example(77 by math, but other heat sources not added)- you not only save on electricity from lightbulbs by switching to efficient bulbs, but you also save on the AC cost of cooling the heated air generated by those bulbs! So double win!

Please remember that your house may be very different than these estimates. Most of the appliances in my house are fairly new, so they aren't too bad for heat production.   Insulation also makes a big difference in cooling costs.

*This is luminous efficiancy- if every watt was converted into lumens (M) and measured lumen output from lightbulb(E),   E over M= efficiancy. The actual efficiancy can be lower or higher by a small amount.
^Most rooms will have more lightbulbs that that. For example, the kitchen in my house has 2 3-bulb fixtures and a bulb over the sink and stove, for a total of 8 bulbs. The room I am typing this in has 1 3 bulb fixture, 2 flood bulbs, and 2 2-bulb lamps, total 9 bulbs)
~I counted the 2 bulb lamps as 1 bulb cause 1. They aren't on all the time. 2. They are only 60 w(x2=120W)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:46:51 pm by Thesquirrelslinger »
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: an observation about lightbulbs
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:03:31 am »
Lemme see if I have this right?  We pay the electric company to heat the house with these inefficient incandescent light bulbs just so that we can turn around and run the air conditioning to run the bill even higher while we try to cool off the very same air we just heated?

>:(

I like the flourescents I switched to a few years ago.  I went with the really expensive full spectrum lights because Seasonal Affective Disorder kills me in the winter.  Turns out they take a little while to get to full output, which works well in the early mornings.  They are easier on the eyes when they don't come on at full power. Aaah! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 12:05:11 am »
Lemme see if I have this right?  We pay the electric company to heat the house with these inefficient incandescent light bulbs just so that we can turn around and run the air conditioning to run the bill even higher while we try to cool off the very same air we just heated?

>:(

Yea, thats pretty much right.
But we have mostly florescents too. I did the math before we switched(thats how I convinced parents ;))
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 12:23:15 am »
I didn't Know this was a light bulb forum  :P. Lol
I like osage

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 01:33:28 am »
Interesting. I shall have to meditate upon this. But what if your house is illuminated by lava lamps?
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 09:24:37 am »
However, in the frozen north, incandescants and even CFLs help to offset heating costs for... 9 months out of the year, as electricity is cheaper than fuel oil.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 10:39:51 am »
Yes. That they do. But down here in temperate kentucky, they raise your cooling bills.
Also keep in mind only about half or so of the lightbulbs in your house will be on at a given time.
I did not count a 12-bulb chandelier in the dining room cause it hasn't been turned on in a month and the bulbs are like 20 watts or so.
Lava lamps work by heat-expansion differences in 2 fluids.
One is denser, one is less dense. There is usually a lot of the less dense and a little more dense. When you turn the lightbub on, it does 2 things- heat the small amount of more dense fluid near the bottom, causing it to expand slightly and become less dense than the other fluid, and to heat and light the room.
The "bubbles" of the (denser) fluid rise up through the less dense fluid(despite because the other fluid is hot, its actually more dense), cool off, and then sink back down.

Offline Marks

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 12:09:55 pm »
Most of the time we leave the blinds open in the daytime with the lights off (which probly lets in more heat than the bulbs would) and at night when we are watching TV we only have a lamp or the kitchen light on. We turn the lights in the rest of the house off unless we are using them. We switched to all low energy bulbs when we moved into this house. I guess we should start leaving them on in the winter time.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 02:50:42 pm »
It depends. For a watt of energy, is gas/fuel oil or electricity cheaper?
I should show the math and results for using florescent bulbs, but I don't feel like calculating it.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 05:18:59 pm »
We did out the math for a typical household in New Brunswick in my heat transfer class a couple years ago. As it turns out incandescent bulbs will save you more money pretty much anywhere in Canada or the northern United States because off the heat energy they provide during the colder months. But if you are really into power savings its best to switch to fluorescent bulbs while you are running your AC for those 3 or 4 months that need it.   

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 06:42:08 pm »
Yea, but if you live in a temperate climate, where gas is cheaper than electricity(per BTU)... and only 4-5 cold months(e.g need heating bad)

Offline Roy

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 11:25:47 pm »
I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel now. ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 08:28:06 am »
 ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D made me laugh Roy. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good