Author Topic: Youth and their electronics  (Read 7755 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Youth and their electronics
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 09:06:58 pm »
My nephew won't help do anything on the farm always texting or playing games on the computer. JW you wouldn't laugh at something like that.LOL

Offline cracker

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 10:37:08 pm »
I took a date home after about an hour she was so busy texting I felt alone anyway she never even knew it until we pulled up in front of her house. I got called an inconsiderate louse. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Roy

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 07:36:14 am »
What turnpike do you work on? I worked on the Pa pike for 44.5 years.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 07:46:56 am »
I have kids down at the cabin all the time to work on bows on some other project,I let them know right off, NO, on the phone or text,if they start or can't
seem to help themself then have 2 choices,stop or go home. No hats sideways and paints pulled up also. ;)  Like it or don't,it don't matter to me,my place,my rules. :)Seems to work most of the time. ;)  Hard A##  I am but the kids seem to keep coming back.  ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 10:17:46 am »
When my son was a teenager cell phones were in their infancy, I didn't buy him one.

Knowing that these devices are now all consuming to most youngsters, I wonder why parents buy them for their kids in the first place.  I wouldn't, then again, I don't own one either.

I do like my PC but have found that when it is on the blink, two weeks away from it and my addiction is gone and I don't care if I have it back or not. 

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 11:38:31 am »
When I was in high school, people would have been embarrassed to wear pants that were dragging and underwear showing. Or hats pulled over the tips of their ears. Even in the army, our BDU pants were baggy by design, but we'd go get some less baggy and do a fold-n-tuck into our jump boots to get rid of the bagginess. I'm not understanding this whole underwear tops or buttcrack showing fad. There's more cracks showing around town than the canyon walls of the whole Grand Canyon. I switched to wearing Wranglers because even the Levis that aren't supposed to be baggy are baggy now.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Poggins

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 01:47:39 pm »
Roy , I work on the Turner turnpike in Oklahoma , it'll be five years on October 6 .
Pappy , I wouldn't consider it that way, kids need to know when to straighten up and act like a decent person and not a clown, they need to learn to respect themselves and others around them and they may not like how some of us try to help them but down the road they will thank us.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 03:31:15 pm »
I think they bring far more good to the world than bad. How many lives have been saved by an instant call to emergency services at scenes of car accidents, fires, medical emergencies and such? How many parents have had their nerves soothed by a quick call from their teenager to tell them that they're just running late and haven't gotten into any trouble?

We are in the middle of a technological revolution, and sure there will be some growing pains. Texting and driving is one of them, but laws are being passed almost everywhere to reduce this, and new tech like built-in bluetooth in vehicles will continue to improve the issues. I think the future is very bright for technology, and I look forward to what it can do for us.

And people are always going to be annoyed with teenagers and the way they act, dress, and carry themselves. That is the natural way of things and will never change, regardless of the times.

Offline JessaHein

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 04:59:05 pm »
Well, I can't say too much on how things used to be, I grew up alongside technology as it was booming. I didn't get my own cellphone until after I was 18 though, my own laptop even later. I guess that allows me to value human-to-human interaction more, though I like to text and email and stuff, especially considering my family is all back in the US. But, yesterday was my Ma's birthday and instead of just doing what everyone else does and sending her a message on Facebook, I waited out the 8 hour time difference and called her. Ironically, my Ma is more prone to tech-attachment than I am. And sure enough, she updated her status to share that I had called her. Ah well.

The times, they are a-changin'.

I agree with Slack, though; this is a cultural shift. And in turn, there are some areas that need to be worked out, but the connectivity of the world is immense now. I've had the opportunity to speak to people from all over the globe, via Skype and Facebook. Technology has allowed me to stay connected with distant friends and family and to instantly share stuff with them, makes me feel like I'm still there with them and vice versa. On the flip side, as someone involved with law enforcement, I can say it is immensely irritating with the whole texting and driving thing. I admit that is an unnecessary risk that endangers not only yourself, but others on the roads as well. As Slack said, society is trying to flex and adapt and introduce laws to help alleviate this. But honestly, if it's that dang important, pull over somewhere safe and just make a call. /endrant
Vannon, että osun omenaan!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 05:08:16 pm »
i think we should be thankfull of cell phones, can you imagine how many people wouldnt be on here if it wasnt for thier cell phone having an internet connection. I can literally say that if it werent for my cell phone that i would never had started making bow. but i do agree that people are way too attachted to thier phones, my wife probably cease to exist if her phone was not attachted to her hand.

i think i just had an epiphany lol.......... be right back

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 05:45:21 pm »
Nope she's still there lol  >:D

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 07:31:14 pm »
i think we should be thankfull of cell phones, can you imagine how many people wouldnt be on here if it wasnt for thier cell phone having an internet connection. I can literally say that if it werent for my cell phone that i would never had started making bow. but i do agree that people are way too attachted to thier phones, my wife probably cease to exist if her phone was not attachted to her hand.

i think i just had an epiphany lol.......... be right back

+1

I make 90% of my posts from my phone
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Poggins

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 08:32:23 pm »
I never intended to start any arguments , just laughing at how paranoid some people get when they don't have their electronics . Sure cellphones have saved lives , I'm a volunteer firefighter and my phone is how I get a lot of calls ( and our local emergency management service sends texts also) and it is handier than toting a large radio around everywhere , but in the same note people do abuse them by texting and driving ( they just as whel have a few drinks and drive ). A vehicle can and does be considered a dangerous weapon in court especially if you are distracted while driving.

Sorry , just my little rant , you would probably feel the same if you worked out in the kind of traffic as I do ( posted speed limit 75 mph , OHP says average speed is 80 MPH ) , not too many places to run to out on the wall of a buisy four lane road.

Like I said I was just laughing.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 06:53:19 am »
I agree staying connected is a good thing,but every 30 seconds,come on. ???  Also agree every older generation thinks the one coming up is a bit over the edge
and down right silly, :) but come on butt cracks showing and paints at the knees. :) Enough from me ,just getting old and set in my ways and that ant likely to change so when I am out and see it,I just keep my mouth shut but when they are on my turf it's a whole different story. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 08:42:31 am »
I hear you Mark when my boys were growing up I didn't allow the saggy pants or sideways hat and I didn't allow they're friends to do it at my house. Like you said it must have worked because I had a hand in raising most of the boys that grew up in my neighborhood during that time and they still come back from time to time. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?