Author Topic: Youth and their electronics  (Read 7708 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Youth and their electronics
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 12:09:37 pm »
I hear you Mark when my boys were growing up I didn't allow the saggy pants or sideways hat and I didn't allow they're friends to do it at my house. Like you said it must have worked because I had a hand in raising most of the boys that grew up in my neighborhood during that time and they still come back from time to time. Ron

Because eventually they realize how ridiculous they were  ;). But I think being ridiculous and even downright stupid at times is a necessary part of growing up.

I also think cell phones are still new enough that proper etiquette hasn't been established. My generation was really the first one to grow up with cell phones and computers being a part of daily life, and we're only now hitting our mid-twenties and having children of our own. My peers and I will better be able to deal with our children and their technology than my parents generation could because it is so ingrained in our way of thinking that we understand it in a way that older folks just can't.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 12:50:56 pm »
I can see one good thing about someone with their pants down to their knees , if a bear or mad dog is after me all I've got to do is stay ahead of them , should be easy .
With age comes wisdom and a real sence of pride in yourself and what you do , it's in our nature to try and pass it on to the younger generations , and I understand that things change as time goes on but there is a lot to learn about life and each generation contributes their part.
Hope that makes seance , I know I can't get enough stories from when my father was young and wish I had recorded some of the stories from my grandfather , a lot of those stories will be lost over time .
I wish some of what my great grandfather knew was written down somewhere , the things I could have learned from it would be priceless.

Offline cracker

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 12:58:58 pm »
Poggins I think that would make a great thread there is a lot that woulda coulda shoulda been learned from the old folks that are now gone. I think thats why the old ways of doing things fascinates me. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Poggins

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 01:47:10 pm »
What would be a good title to that topic ?

Offline cracker

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 01:48:39 pm »
How about wisdom from the elders what have you got to  share. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Poggins

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 03:48:05 pm »
Sounds good , or maybe stories from the past.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 03:57:19 pm »
I'm lucky in this deparment. My great grandfather Harold Blaney actually did write some things down before he went. He published a book about it. I have a copy around somewhere. It's called "The Way it Was Back Then: Grampy Remembers". Haven't picked it up in a long time. I'll have to dig it out.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 04:45:06 pm »
for all of you that complain about texting and driving I would like to invite you to the great city of Chicago and sit in rush hour traffic.  the average speed on the highway is about 5 miles per hour. And the funny thing it's not the Youth  texting and driving its all the business people. A bunch of suits glued to their phone not paying attention to anything. Traffic has really gotten worse since the cell phone became so prominent. so while the youth are definitely guilty of it I would say adults play equal roll.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 11:35:56 pm »
Some random thoughts on cell phones - Having grown up in the 80's and 90's, and then going through school to become an electronics technician, you'd think I would be all for keeping up with the latest and greatest technology.  But it wasn't until I started dating my wife about 5 years ago that I finally broke down and bought a crappy flip phone, just so she could reach me if she had to.  Also figured since someone was depending on me being around, the responsible thing would be to have some way to communicate if I hit the ditch in a snowstorm when it's -40 out.  But I always liked the idea of being "unreachable".  If someone needed to tell me something important, they could leave a message on my voicemail and I'd get back to them.  I'm also a cheap bastard and didn't really like the idea of paying twice, for the phone and internet services that I already had at home.

My wife's days at work have been a little slower as of late, and she finally broke down and bought a smart phone a couple days ago to keep herself occupied.  It's been amusing watching how obsessed she is with figuring everything out, downloading all the apps she needs and whatnot.  On the bright side, she used to give me crap all the time about how much time I spend online in the evenings, but since she's been glued to that thing, I haven't heard a peep about it  >:D 

A co-worker was just telling me today that he was hanging out with the parents of his kid's friends after a soccer game.  All the parents were upstairs BS'ing, and they noticed the strange lack of noise coming from the basement where 8 teenage girls were hanging out.  One of the parents went down to check things out, and all 8 of them had their faces glued to their phones with their thumbs blazing. :)

I looked out the front window the other day and saw some kid cruising down the street on a skateboard, texting away, just oblivious to what was happening around him.  Either he was a really good multi-tasker, or he was just asking to be a grease stain on the road.

The times, they are a changin' :) 

I suddenly feel really old!

Offline Roy

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 12:56:03 am »
LOL, blame it all on the kids and their electronics, while we grown ups sit here and complain about them on our computers on the internet, that grandpap never had.. :) ;) I love it..

Offline Newindian

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 02:55:24 am »
As a member of the youth I can say I might pick up my cell phone every three days at the most, more often weeks. Drives my parents crazy. On a side note about pants , I did once see a guy with his pants pulled down who's out fit I approved of but I'm not sure of the point, he wore another pair of pants underneath.
I like free stuff.

Offline ncpat

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 02:35:16 pm »
LOL, blame it all on the kids and their electronics, while we grown ups sit here and complain about them on our computers on the internet, that grandpap never had.. :) ;) I love it..

Ouch!! Hard to argue with that. My wife complains about how much time I spend on forums, Facebook & e mail, under the guise of "catching up on incoming e mails" or "researching products for customers". Trivial things like mowing grass, home repairs, etc. may have to wait a while.

We do all get carried away with our own little obsessions. LOL
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.