Author Topic: Hunting accuracy challenge  (Read 5794 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: Hunting accuracy challenge
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 04:52:34 pm »
yeah tell me about it... It happens all the time.. I hear, when I really concentrate, I can make the shot... well, really concentrate for 10 shots and see how you do..lol   It's really quite hard to concentrate when a deer is moving around, or when there are more than one to worry about spotting you. If shooting at the tiny target makes you nervous about missing, that's all the better. It might help you curve some anxiety when taking the real shot on a deer. No one is going to be 100% at any range, but hopefully you can be 90% or better!  I'm about 75% - 80% at 14yards.   I'm going to hang tough and see if I can improve that to 90% before season starts.   
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 07:31:16 pm »
Yeah, that was an eye opener.  Took ten shots at a measured 10 yards, over an hour and a half and two cups of tea.

In my defense, if the disk were 6 inches I'd of had 80%.  Woof!

I'm gonna be on this drill Ryan.  Pearlie, I'm stepping down to 8 tomorrow with you Bro!
1’—>1’

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 12:44:07 am »
Well, I stuck up a small piece of cardboard on my foam target.  I had some small rectangles 4" by 6" so I started with that. At 10 yards I got 6 outta 10. Ouch. Than I mixed it up, just for fun.  It varying yardage (8 to 20) I still got 6 outta 10.  Seems I shot better at 15 yards... and I think I practice too much at 15 yards....

Now I'm second guessing my accuracy. Damn it man! Don't you know its deer season??  >:(  Just kidding, but this is a real humbling experience, as well as a level of accuracy to strive for. Thanks for posting it, even if I occasionally curse myself for trying it.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 12:33:18 pm »
haha, I hate myself sometimes too, don't worry
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 11:55:32 am »
I usually only shoot one arrow at a time, usually shoot at the local 3D course with my self bow. I shoot out to 20yards and keep most shots between 15 and 20 yards. Last time I shot I got 18 kill shots out of 20 targets. I really have a hard time hitting when I'm shooting uphill, seem to always shoot short. It is important to know your effective kill range and shoot at least three 3 D courses a week until hunting season. When shooting 15 yards and less hit about 90  percent plus, 15 to 20 yards 80 percent plus. 20 to 25 yards my accuracy gets worse, I can hit the animals but my kill shot percentage isn't good enough to risk it on a live animal.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 09:20:09 pm »
Wow....  Thanks Ryan!  That was sobering.    I am a ten yard man.  But, come to think of it, I don't think I have killed many over twelve yards in my life.  That was good practice.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi