Author Topic: Learning  (Read 1996 times)

Offline woodswalker

Learning
« on: July 09, 2013, 05:43:02 pm »
Does anyone know where around North Georgia one could learn some primitive skills.  i.e. wild edibles , cordage, etc.   I have learned how to knapp and am working on bow and arrow making. Looking to learn all I can. Any help would be appriciated.

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Learning
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 06:00:26 pm »
For foraging I would get in contact with these People

Just scroll down to where it says Georgia.

As far as cordage goes, these people would likely know a bit about that as well.  As long as you can do a reverse twist go out in the woods and look for plants that you think might have some good fibers in them and tear them apart and see if they do have good fibers.  Hands on experience is far more important than reading in my opinion.

What in particular are you looking to use your cordage for?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline woodswalker

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 06:14:41 pm »
we have cedar trees in the area and from what I have seen myself and if my memory serves me correct I have read about cedar inner bark being able to be used. I do make my own flemish twist strings using dacron. I just have that yearning to make it all.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 06:20:32 pm »
Using natural fibers are a little different cause you have to worry about the cord being even.  Just be particular when you add new fibers into the cord.  I could trade some agave fibers if you want something to practice with.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline woodswalker

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:53:57 pm »
Dont have lots of stuff but what would you be looking for? Could maybe knapp you a few heads or I could check my turkey feathers.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:51:54 pm »
Milkweed and dogbane are very abundant throughout the country.   http://plants.usda.gov/java/ is a useful site when trying to see if certain plants are in your area.  They go as far as counties, so it's pretty accurate.  Not all entries have pictures but if you google the name of the plant you should find a few.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 09:49:36 pm »
Billy Berger lives in North Georgia. You might have to get naked for him to show you, though. :o ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?