Author Topic: Mary Rose visit  (Read 8471 times)

Offline WillS

Mary Rose visit
« on: July 09, 2013, 07:15:28 pm »
I'm heading down to the Mary Rose in a week or so to check out the new museum (the original plan was to head behind the scenes again and do some further checking of the bows and shafts by hand but my contact the current Curator of Ordnance says the bows are all packed up for a move to a new display unit and facility so I'll head back in a few months to get a real close look)

Are there any photos you guys would like to see that maybe you've not seen before? Especially the guys in the states who perhaps can't get across here and see yourself?  I'll do my best to take a varied selection with bowyers in mind but if there are aspects that anybody would be interested in seeing let me know and I'll get some bespoke pics!

According to the Curator they've moved a lot more of the previously archived bows into full view in an archery section so I'm hoping there'll be some great clarity as compared to the slightly dodgy photos usually taken.

Offline adb

Re: Mary Rose visit
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 11:30:07 am »
I look forward to any photos you take at the new museum. Hopefully the archery displays will be improved over the old museum.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:06:18 am »
Any pics you can get take as many as possible Id love to see them !
I like osage

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 12:08:53 pm »
Just finished going round the new museum - very impressed! Hundreds of bows on display, with lots very close.  The whole upper floor was essentially dedicated to the weaponry and had cases of bows, arrows in spacers and a small area where visitors could try pulling a laminated 80# bow.

Managed to make a couple of very useful contacts, one being the executive of the museum himself, and got a touch closer to getting to hold the bows.  It wasn't this difficult last time!  Pictures will be up a bit later, one thing to note when looking at the bows is how many of them (over half!) are actually reflexed right through the length.  Could only find one example of a warbow with recurved tips, but you'll see in the pics a display plaque theorising that some of the bows may never have been used, hence the strong amount of reflex.

Sadly the only remaining horn nock and length of hemp string were tucked away very hard to photograph so apologies there, and for the dark grainy photos - no flash allowed of course and tricky to get clear shots in the darkness.

For anybody interested in the period, or the bows etc this is a must see.  The new museum layout has the Mary Rose hull on one side, with all the artefacts arranged on the other in an identical mirror image placement system, so each floor of the museum represents a deck, and items are displayed according to where on the ship they were found.  Very cool, very easy to get engrossed in, and the fact that so much effort has been put into the bows and their importance is I think a testament to the growing community of warbow archers and bowyers pushing the relevance and importance into the public eye!

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 01:07:21 pm »
I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 02:01:03 pm »
Pics!  Here are the best of the pics I took of archery/bow related displays.  There were plenty of others but not relevant to warbows.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 03:38:58 pm by WillS »

Offline WillS

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 02:02:46 pm »
Clicking on the pictures enlarges them quite a bit, but might take you to my Photobucket as well which is a bit time consuming.  Sorry if they're not quite big enough!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 04:02:51 pm »
Great pics. Looks like they've done a great job on the display, I particularly like the arrows in the perspex spacers and the try your strength longbows. It's good to give people some hands on in these days of over zealous health and safety.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 04:07:54 pm »
Yeah I totally agree, it was great seeing kids and parents alike get excited about drawing the bows and feeling like archers, rather than being forced to just walk round and squint at "old bits of stick" as one guy described them!

Offline danny f

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 05:26:28 pm »
great pics will, i will defo have to go and visit there one day.

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 06:02:48 pm »
Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Those displays are a vast improvement from the old museum.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 01:23:32 am »
Wow very cool thank you for posting
I like osage

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 03:58:07 am »
Thanks for posting....one of these days I will have to make a trip down. I'm off to Cornwall rock climbing for a few weeks in August so may just have to pop in on the way back.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 04:14:35 pm »
Cool pics Will!
I love history and found this post entertaining.
Thanks for posting!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 11:29:30 am »
Thanks for taking the time to share the pics.  Very cool!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso