Author Topic: SOS beekeepers  (Read 1687 times)

Offline iowabow

SOS beekeepers
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:09:02 pm »
I went oit at sunset and this is what I saw. What is happening?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: SOS beekeepers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:27:50 pm »
One of my hives has been doing this for two weeks.  In my case, it is the best performing of my hives, most brood and most honey stored up!  I made sure I had plenty of open frames for them so I don't think they were wanting to swarm. 

IB, make sure they have lots of open frames above them!  If the first honey super is getting full, slip the second honey super UNDER it.  They dislike the gap and are more willing to start filling in the new frames.

If they don't have any room left, the queen may be trying to swarm.  Hopefully some more experienced beekeepers can chime in here.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 11:40:37 pm »
They're most likely just hot. I've seen them do this a lot in hotter weather.  If you look closely are most of the bees right in front of the opening buzzing their wings? If so, they could be circulating air throughout the hive. JMO
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 12:22:49 am »
I agree with Shannon. Hot bees, make sure they have water close by...old mossy water.  It's too late for healthy swarms.  I ain't sayin it won't happen, but they look hot to me. You ever hear..."a swarm in May is worth a load of hay, a swarm in June is worth a tune, a swarm in July ain't worth a fly"?
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 12:36:57 am »
Ok the pictutes I saw on the internet look like bearding hot bees. Now do I need a screen bottom or add a honey super or both?
This question is for all of ya to ring in on.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 12:38:17 am »
Also they are next to my pond so water should not be an issue.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 12:51:00 am »
How hot and humid is it where you are ? Here in Oklahoma it was flirting with the triple digits and very humid , my bees looked like they wher all out of the boxes and just hanging around.
A little shade helps , and a breeze also , I have mine set up to where they get morning sun and shade in the afternoons and evenings . Hanging out like that means they are not working so their brood and honey production will slow down .
I've never seen a swarm hang on a box , they will be working along one minute then the next it will look like a flood poring out of the box , if there is a limb close by a swarm may gather there before getting their bearings and moving on.y honey season didn't really happen this year , cold and rain then hot and humid . All well maybe next year.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 12:54:05 am »
Humidity 80% and about 90.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 01:00:44 am »
Yep , hot bees .

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 10:45:36 am »
You can also just prop your cover up a little to give them more air flow.  I've propped them up using just the cover sitting on the inner cover or by sticking a stick between the inner cover and cover. Make sense? Good luck, dp

yep, the pond should be fine as long as you're not treating it.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 11:44:32 am »
Not treating pond just flint 8)