Author Topic: what would be best thing to do with this yew  (Read 4209 times)

Offline danny f

Re: what would be best thing to do with this yew
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 01:49:50 pm »

Offline WillS

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 02:33:45 pm »
They look so similar to a haul I got a while back! Mine are still seasoning but I could almost swear they came from the same tree as yours! You're in for a challenge with them, that's for sure but nothing is impossible!  Don't you just love typical English yew? Who needs that dead straight clean stuff they get in America, eh?

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 02:48:54 pm »
Nice looking stuff, I'd probably have done the same thing and gone for the three splits.  The piece had those three lobes that made it a natural for three staves.  Of course if I'd done it I'd have used the bandsaw.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline danny f

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 03:20:00 pm »
yes will the yew over here grows very wonky, that straight pacific stuff looks to easy to me >:D, only kidding i would love some it would be alot easier for me at this stage lol.
tom i would of bandsawed it to if i had one. but i am now glad i split it as i know how the grain runs. i will probably do the other in the morning and see how that goes.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 04:12:00 pm »
Straight? I do t think so.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 04:53:21 pm »
Splitting does give you additional info on the wood, thats for sure.  But it does come at a price, you get a little waste on the edges.  Looks like all three of your staves have enough wood in them.  I'm impressed that they don't taper much in thickness towards the top end.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 04:55:13 pm »
i was also wondering what a heartwood only yew bow would be like. if i removed sapwood and chased a ring. does anyone have any links to any? or would it be better backed?
I've seen highly violated all yew heartwood bow 5 1/2' long recurved pulled 70#+
Made by Chester Stevenson.
The bow was not much to look at but functional, and beautiful in it own way.

Carson was with me but I think he was blind sides by another bow or 6 ;)
Saying Chester Stevenson made it so we can make it, is a bit of a stretch!  I guess it does prove its physically possible though.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 05:45:00 pm »
It's been done by other ppl. That's just the only bow I've held and seen with my own 2 eyes.
Check paleo there's a few on there.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 05:47:24 pm »
That is some straight grain stuff.  The sapwood looks plenty healthy from what I can see, but surely there will be some grey streaks.  I have a lumpy all heartwood stave that was cut from a dead-standing yew.  Haven't got it bending yet, but I am inclined to leave it unbacked.   I will try to post it up sooner than later.  That log is going to make some really neat bows. 

That Stevenson bow was impressive.  I saw another of his osage bows that was completely violated all over the back.  Growth rings were ignored and the bow was shaped to a wide flat back.  Perfectly smooth.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline danny f

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 05:57:18 pm »
i meant they didnt twist or split to one side, i know they are far from straight lol. they have split better than any other yew i have split so far. i will have my work cut out trying to get a bow from them. i may just leave them until i feel more confident so i dont ruin them.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 06:11:30 pm »
I'd at least work on the worst one of those staves.  You might gain some valuable experience on it that will apply to the rest moreso than working with other wood.  Plus, saving wood is a double-edged sword.  Eventually it becomes more dear because it is so old, and then the pressure to not mess it up is worse.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Hamish

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 08:38:47 pm »
Hi Danny, Sweet haul. You did the right thing regarding splitting. You do get rough edges, but with those knobbly lumps, the grain is intact. Theres's some beautiful bows in those staves, can't wait to see what you do with them.
                                              Hamish.

Offline danny f

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 02:05:30 pm »
well i finally got the other half of the log split up. i got 3 staves and a length of heartwood only. this side had branches growing inside the trunk but they hadnt come through the bark there are some holes in a couple of the staves but they should be ok. theres plenty of wiggles to.  :)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 02:07:14 pm »
Yeah! those will be some wicked bows!  8)

Offline adb

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 06:17:22 pm »
Those are some knarly a$$ed staves, but there's nuthin' more purdy than a character yew bow IMHO. Working with those will also make you a better bowyer.