Author Topic: Different bamboo  (Read 1149 times)

Offline mike fisher

Different bamboo
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:55:25 pm »
Good Evening,
I just can't resist, I have to ask about a different kind of bamboo like that used for cooking tools like spatulas or forks or spoons-one piece not the glue-up one.Is this available in North America? can be used for bows? From Ontario, Canada all the best.Thanks.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Different bamboo
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 11:19:41 pm »
I have to ask about a different kind of bamboo like that used for cooking tools like spatulas or forks or spoons-one piece not the glue-up one.
several species of 'boo grow in the good ole north america.
Many more grow over in asia.
Cooking utensils can be made from almost any species.
River cane can make 20#-40# bows... but you generally want to tiller on the back for a selfbow... plus they are rather diffucult to not split...
Forks, spoons, bla bla bla is typically not over 20" long.
to back a bow.. you need a piece about 40" long or longer, and join the strips in the handle... if its stiff handle. Bendy handle it has to be the whole length of the bow. this is what I have gathered from a combo of personal experiance with river-boo survival bows and from the Internet.

i think you could make cooking utensiles from glue-up boo, and the reverse if you could get it.

'boo flooring, anyone?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 12:43:38 am »
It's called Moso and it's readily available in Ontario. You can buy Moso 2 inch slats by the bale in Chinatown in Toronto..

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 04:02:57 am »
Yep , almost certainly moso and yes it's widely available. It will make a fine backing for a lam bow.