Author Topic: Rusty!  (Read 2972 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Rusty!
« on: July 14, 2013, 07:11:20 pm »
I went out in the shop and knapped while it was raining this afternoon.  Man, am I rusty!  Broke everything I touched for awhile.  Finally picked out a raw piece of perd and knocked this point out.  Broke it twice before I settled down...should've had a blade from it.  It is pretty thick and stalled both notches, but it came out decent.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Josh B

Re: Rusty!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 07:21:03 pm »
Just looking at the point, it don't look like you're all that rusty to me!  Nice one!  Josh

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 08:28:24 pm »
Not seeing any rust either. Great looking point George. Glad to see you posting again.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 10:36:56 pm »
I should be so rusty, looks great
knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 10:40:25 pm »
If that's rusty... I can't wait to your points when you are all greased up! :)
“People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they are not on your road does not mean they are lost.” -- Dalai Lama

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 12:00:17 am »
No rust there.

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 12:44:43 am »
Nice, George! Like that one!

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 02:40:09 am »
nice one George, glad your back at it, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 07:16:03 am »
Thanks guys, it was good to be out there again.  So many hobbies, so little time.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 09:17:13 am »
Hey, hey George is back! Very nice point you made! Not rusty at all.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 10:20:26 am »
Great to see ya back G! That point is really nice. Good job on the flakes scares!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 02:10:47 pm »
Thanks.  Yea IB, it was raining so I couldn't fly... ;)  It's still raining (thank God) so I may get after the rock some more tonight.  That raw stone wore me out.  I was hitting it as hard as I could.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline flungonin

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 02:56:42 pm »
When you said you stalled at both notches, what does that mean? Is it where you have worked the dsurfaces to a point where theres no working edge left?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 03:24:47 pm »
I was going for a perdiz shape so I wanted both notches to be deeper with longer barbs and a longer tang.  But, the point is a little thick (as always) so I was using the ishi stick to punch the notches deeper.  I didn't do a good enough job preparing a platform and crushed the edge in there so it was pretty much flat from top to bottom.  I knew there was pretty good risk of breaking off one or both ears at that point as hard as I was gonna have to hit the punch so I took the easy way out and called the point done.  If I were practiced up I would have tried nibbling along the edges of the notch and maybe could have gotten it going again.  However, I really wanted to end the time out there with a point so I quit.  I hope that made sense.  For me, it seems like I can work around a few bad hits on the main part of the point, but when it comes to notching (especially corner notching), I have to be pretty much spot on to get what I want.  Very hard to recover from a bad attempt in a notch.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline flungonin

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 02:44:28 am »
I have a tendancy to do that. I did get some good flakes finally to cross 3/4 of the way across a small mahogony piece but the opposite side the egde crushed and I ended up with the same thing you did but on a different part of the arrow head.