Author Topic: Trying to figure out what tools I need to make arrows (the absolute minimum)  (Read 3803 times)

Offline CubeGod

So, as the title says I am considering making myself some arrows, what tools are required as a bare minimum (kudos if the tools in question are 100% natural or possible to craft using 100% natural materials)

I got the shafts figured out already, what I am trying to figure out is fletching and making the arrowheads (if so, what material is the best, my research indicates that stone tips only get around 10% more penetration as compared to wooden tips and they take a lot more work to make)

Offline Joec123able

10% more penetration? I dont think so a lot more watch this video from beginning to end Thad shows how much better stone is then just plain wood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eoyd1a90tk
I like osage

Offline CubeGod

My research is fairly limited
http://archaeology.about.com/cs/lithics/a/thepoint.htm and http://www.uwyo.edu/anthropology/_files/docs/antiquity-2009.pdf are the main things and the latter show just how crudely efficient both are (± ~1 inch penetration in wood vs. stone, both penetrating deep enough to be a guaranteed fatality)

Anyway, I was more wondering what tools are required for fletching arrows and for making arrowheads rather than to discuss how much greater one type of arrowhead is over another.

I am interested in every kind of arrowhead, I want to at least know how to do it in case I end up in a situation where I have limited materials (I am particularly interested in bone tips, how good are they?)

Offline Joec123able

Sorry I shouldn't even had said anything considering I'm not great at making arrows And I definetly cannot knap stone points
I like osage

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

I think in theory, for a stone point arrow, use the point as a scraper, knife, and trimmer for the feathers and sinew, use flakes from making the stone point to do the nocks, finish with oils from plant or from animal fat.

If no stone point, you only need a small knife. I have made cruddy arrows that way, and it is difficult and they don't last forever.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline crooketarrow

I can see your just starting out and your still in the compound mode.
  I shot and kiulled 22 doe's and 7 bucks, 3 went 203,209 AND A 222 POUNDER with stone points. Out of those 22 does 12 were pass throughs and 4 other were all but the feathers were in the deer. Only one deer a 3 1/2 year old 6 pointer I didn't get good pentration. I hit his shoulder. I found him 2 days later and me and a friend finished him off. I also shot 4 gobblers with stone points. I did have 2 others I did't find.
  So I'm not sure where you got the 10% from. If it was that low I'd dout 100,000's of native people could have lived from hunting with stone heads. And have you seen some of the points they shot. I would'nt hafe them to a shaff. So the points made toady are far better than most I've saw.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Minimum to make an arrow to hunt with, or to shoot target with?
Your question needs to be much more focused to get any sort of a decent answer.

Right now, the answer is "none".  the bare minimum is your two hands.
Your next question should be "how", and your answers are found by digging through old threads to see how various people have managed.

This is one answer:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,12020.0.html
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline PrimitiveTim

You can make them with just a stone edge for tools.  You'll need more tools for knapping stone, making pine pitch, and some fire to trim the feathers down.  Search youtube for this.  I know at least two videos show you how to make totally primitive arrows.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline CubeGod

I think in theory, for a stone point arrow, use the point as a scraper, knife, and trimmer for the feathers and sinew, use flakes from making the stone point to do the nocks, finish with oils from plant or from animal fat.

If no stone point, you only need a small knife. I have made cruddy arrows that way, and it is difficult and they don't last forever.
Thank you, that seems easy enough (I actually have most of that, well I don't have a scraper but that isn't hard to obtain)

I can see your just starting out and your still in the compound mode.
  I shot and kiulled 22 doe's and 7 bucks, 3 went 203,209 AND A 222 POUNDER with stone points. Out of those 22 does 12 were pass throughs and 4 other were all but the feathers were in the deer. Only one deer a 3 1/2 year old 6 pointer I didn't get good pentration. I hit his shoulder. I found him 2 days later and me and a friend finished him off. I also shot 4 gobblers with stone points. I did have 2 others I did't find.
  So I'm not sure where you got the 10% from. If it was that low I'd dout 100,000's of native people could have lived from hunting with stone heads. And have you seen some of the points they shot. I would'nt hafe them to a shaff. So the points made toady are far better than most I've saw.

I am not sure what you mean with compound mode (does it refer to using compound bows? I use a recurve for hunting and a homemade bamboo bow I can't even put in a category for practice (it isn't a bad bow though))
but as I mentioned earlier I get the 10% mainly from http://www.uwyo.edu/anthropology/_files/docs/antiquity-2009.pdf and http://archaeology.about.com/cs/lithics/a/thepoint.htm (this one just mentions that mythbusters tested it so I naturally looked their test up to check it myself, it looks legit enough)

Minimum to make an arrow to hunt with, or to shoot target with?
Your question needs to be much more focused to get any sort of a decent answer.

Right now, the answer is "none".  the bare minimum is your two hands.
Your next question should be "how", and your answers are found by digging through old threads to see how various people have managed.

This is one answer:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,12020.0.html

Mainly to hunt with
Thanks for the link though.

You can make them with just a stone edge for tools.  You'll need more tools for knapping stone, making pine pitch, and some fire to trim the feathers down.  Search youtube for this.  I know at least two videos show you how to make totally primitive arrows.

Okay... I'll search youtube and see what I find.

Offline Buckeye Guy

the tools you will need are a good mind and a strong will !!
The rest are just icing on the cake so to speak !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Slackbunny

I think he's right about stone points not getting much better penetration than wooden ones. I think mythbusters did a section on it and had similar results.

But I think you and the mythbuster guys are missing one key thing. Its not all about penetration.

Arrows kill by causing massive hemorrhaging in the vital organs. In a fleshy target, a sharp wooden point may penetrate just about as far as a stone point; however, the wooden points simply poke a hole whereas the stone points cut a wide path through the flesh, increasing the surface area of the wound and therefore the number of blood vessels severed. This increases the blood loss rate, so that the wound will be more likely to kill, and to kill more quickly.

Stone points weren't adopted by primitive people because of their penetration, but rather because of the increased bleeding they caused.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 08:55:31 pm by Slackbunny »

Offline Joec123able

I think he's right about stone points not getting much better penetration than wooden ones. I think mythbusters did a section on it and had similar results.

But I think you and the mythbuster guys are missing one key thing. Its not all about penetration.

Arrows kill by causing massive hemorrhaging in the vital organs. In a fleshy target, a sharp wooden point may penetrate just about as far as a stone point; however, the wooden points simply poke a hole whereas the stone points cut a wide path through the flesh, increasing the surface area of the wood and therefore the number of blood vessels severed. This increases the blood loss rate, so that the wound will be more likely to kill, and to kill more quickly.

Stone points weren't adopted by primitive people because of their penetration, but rather because of the increased bleeding they caused.

Nope I think you better think this though, they shot into a solid block of ballitic gelatin ! As far as I know An animal isn't just solid flesh. Also the hide on the animal, a sharp broad head has no problem slicing through but a wooden point will have difficulty tearing thought the hide te mythbusters test was heavily flawed you should go watch the video of Thad beckums I posted on the first page of this topic
I like osage

Offline stickbender

If you were in a survival situation, and did not have the resources to make a decent point, yeah, a fire hardened wood point would be better than nothing.  Myth Busters, are not infallible.  In fact they have made a bunch of statements that are not so.  You have to remember, it is like the so called "Reality" shows, that are not.  Anyway, Like slackbunny, and Joec123able said, there are a lot more variables to consider in the difference between an animal, and a block of Ballistic Gelatin.  Wood points, won't normally go through ribs.  They don't cause large amounts of bleeding.  And with either wood or stone, shot placement is key.  The ten per cent data is very flawed.  Now as to your original question, what do you need as far as bare minimum?  Like Buckeye Guy said, a strong will, etc.  But you can get by with a knife, and stick with a hole, or notch, and your knee, or a piece of limb.  These will be used to straighten the shafts, after heating them over a bed of coals.  But if you have a heat gun, that works quite well.  Just be sure to watch how hot you get the shaft.  You don't want to scorch the shaft.  You want to move the shaft back and forth in the area you want to straighten, and then straighten that section, and then move on to the next.  If you are using boo, or cane, straighten between the nodes first, then the nodes, but be careful with the nodes, go gently with them.  But basically, a knife, a stick with a notch, or hole, for bending crooks, and a limb, or knee for bending out curves in the shaft, and a knife to scrape, and cut the notch for the point, and the nock.  Ok, don't knap, or don't want to use stone points, make trade points, or buy commercial points.  Or even make bone points, they are better than plain wood points.  That is pretty much all you need to make shafts.  Fletching, well feathers, sharp knife, or scissors, if you have them, sinew, or fine upholstery thread, unwaxed dental floss, etc. , pitch glue, super glue, model glue, etc.  Wrap a layer of thread, sinew, etc. just below the nock, and just behind the point, if you are using trade points, etc. where you cut a notch to accept it.  These wraps should be about 3/4 of an inch to an inch in length from the notch, and about the same from the nock.  You want sufficient wrapping to help prevent splitting. Also smear, and smooth the glue over the wraps.  If you are putting a trade point, or stone, you want check the alignment of the point.  You can place the point on a flat surface, table, piece of wood, your hand, etc, and spin the arrow, and see if it wobbles.  If so, realign the point.  Welcome to Arrow Smithing 101. ;)  There are a lot of postings here on PA, and You Tube.  Getting info, and pictures and video is not a problem. ;)  Good luck.

Wayne

Offline Buckeye Guy

If you have your "want to " or strong will as they say in high gear you will find away to get to a knappin !
Them fellows throw away the nicest blades and scrappers while making good points !
Don't tell them but the stuff they throw away is a dream come true for me, they can have all them beautiful points just give me the trash !!
I must admit a pair of pruning shears does speed up gathering shoots for shafting!
If you are wanting the normal three fletch with even spaces and such you may want to get a fletching jig ! But then you will need some glue also !
Have fun
The list will never stop till you finally find a place to get off !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Slackbunny

Arrows kill by causing massive hemorrhaging in the vital organs. In a fleshy target, a sharp wooden point may penetrate just about as far as a stone point; however, the wooden points simply poke a hole whereas the stone points cut a wide path through the flesh, increasing the surface area of the wood and therefore the number of blood vessels severed. This increases the blood loss rate, so that the wound will be more likely to kill, and to kill more quickly.

Nope I think you better think this though, they shot into a solid block of ballitic gelatin ! As far as I know An animal isn't just solid flesh. Also the hide on the animal, a sharp broad head has no problem slicing through but a wooden point will have difficulty tearing thought the hide te mythbusters test was heavily flawed you should go watch the video of Thad beckums I posted on the first page of this topic

You've got a point, I imagine that stone points would do far better on bone than wooden ones, and that video is pretty convincing.