Author Topic: tapered cores  (Read 1582 times)

Offline rkeltner

tapered cores
« on: July 29, 2013, 11:18:20 am »
how absolutely necessesary is it for the cores to be tapered on a bamboo back and belly bow? i'm thinking a cedar core and it would make it an awful lot easier if I didn't have to do or get tapers. still in planning stage!

Offline tenbrook

Re: tapered cores
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 11:55:18 am »
if there is no taper the tiller will be way off.  bending only near the fades.
"Indian makes small fire, sits close.
White man makes big fire, sits far away."

- Stalking Wolf

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 12:05:21 pm »
do you mean a width or a thickness taper? if its thickness... I am with you on that.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 02:59:12 pm »
You don't need to taper cores at all as long as it isn't too thick. If your core is too thick you may end up with no belly wood near the tips.
Tapered cores allow you to use thinner lams for the belly saving a little wood. One other benfit is that you can fit more tapered cores in thean untapered if you want fancy colour combos.

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 01:17:15 pm »
my hope is to adjust the tiller by scraping whittling down the width. trying to keep the bamboo belly intact. I plan to toast the belly boo. I hope to end up in the 50# range, so suggestions for the core thickness would be appreciated, too! while I'm thinking cedar for the core, anything is usable.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 01:33:58 pm »
Are you talking a slice of bamboo or veneered bamboo like flooring for the belly ?
I don't think I would want to do without a tapered core, if I was doing a slice of bamboo !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 06:31:30 pm »
I purchased 25 1.75 x 6 ft bamboo slats from home depot, so I have plenty (for now) of bamboo to experiment, so I want to try a boo back and belly bow, then I want to get adventurous and try an asiatic style composite, boo back and belly, though I may have to break down and get some horn for that. it'll all take time to work out