Author Topic: Pyramid Bow for my requirements?  (Read 18783 times)

Offline Greebe

Re: Pyramid Bow for my requirements?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 02:37:57 pm »
Well I called around today and no love for any oak.  The closest place to get it is about 35 minutes in the next town over.  The local lumber mill said that they sell their oak by the tractor trailer load, and that is a little too expensive for me. Hehe :o  Besides where would I put all that lumber.

So I might rethink this and see if I can cut a stave from the woods.  I have a pretty good sized piece of black cherry from my backyard that came down in our last storm.  However I hear it is not the best for bows.  Argggggg, all I want to do is build a bow.

Maybe I will just have to give the black cherry a try.  What do you guys think?

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 02:46:23 pm »
got a Lowe's or home depot close, you can get red oak or maple even at most of them, you can also go to the trade post page here, or get a stave from pine hollow or Gary Davis or something like that, if the cherry has been down a while I wouldn't use it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Greebe

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 03:12:04 pm »
Thanks.  Yep the Lowes is the place to get oak 35 minutes away.  The cherry has been down for around 8 months

Offline Greebe

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 02:47:47 pm »
Well I went to Lowes and picked up a nice piece of red oak and plan to start working on the bow here in the next day or so if I have time.  Thanks for the input. -- Greebe