Author Topic: 12 footer  (Read 8719 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: 12 footer
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 08:22:31 pm »
uncleduck....A 16 footer is pretty darn nice and roomy.Especially for two people,belongings etc. for a month.Cheaper than an 18 footer too a bit,[poles will probably cost the same]but sometimes whatever price range you can afford is good.My 12 footer is really just a hunting camp type size,[two people]but I know I could make it work for a month if I had to.Sounds contradictive I know but really a 16 footer is a nice size.Sometime if you can go to a buckskinner rendezvous you could get a first hand look.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 11:28:38 pm »
Beadman:  Just saw this post.  Nice, very nice teepee.  I have a lodge (wall tent) which is pretty nice and I like it a lot.  But, there's something magical about the teepee.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 11:48:06 pm »
This  is really cool!!  Hope I can have the room for one some day.
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 10:24:41 am »
Matt....Thanks yes it has it's own kind of feel living in it for sure with the fire and all.I have a wall tent too that I really like and saw your really nice set up at the classic.You had plenty of room in there for sure.I like using those army cots in there.I've been making some more willow & dogwood rod mats for the teepee.That good old artificial sinew binds them together pretty darn good.Takes time though.Hate sleeping on rain soaked ground.....LOL.
David...Don't know quite what you mean room for one someday but yes it's best to store your poles inside if possible and that takes a shed,lean to or garage of some sort.
I'm getting around to getting a digital camera to show more pictures.Hopefully within a week or so.I just welded up a good support off of the brush guard of my Toyota pickup to support the tips of the poles lately too.Used to have a Chevy truck to haul my circus earlier.Gearing up for next years classic and maybe Mojam in July.Doubt whether I'll have a fire inside then.It's usually about 95 to 100 degrees at Mojam most years.Have to find someone I trust to take care of my dogs.
BowEd
Ed

Offline warpath

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 05:11:36 pm »
Beadman- Very nice set-up!! I have a 15 footer myself that I got from Ahki Tipi and we really like it. For whoever was asking about what size to get for 2 people comfortably, ours is perfect for us. Holds all our hunting and fishing tackle along with clothes, cooler, firepit, chairs, etc.  We lay a heavy-duty tarp down on the floor and lace it up the sides of the liner and have never had a wet floor doing it this way. I know the tarp is far from primitive but we like being dry. The Mrs. went and got a full size air mattress and there's still plenty of room. Good luck with your tipi. The more fires you have in it the more water resistant it becomes.

G

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 09:00:10 am »
Yep I agree warpath.The more fires the better although there is some very good waterproof,mildewproof,&fire retardent canvas out there,but it does look nice seeing a used smoked tipi.I made a 2/3rds' fire retardent ozane for mine too.Glad you like yours.There really is a nastalgic feeling or nuance to living in one.Seems to get you in touch with mother nature.There's all kinds of things a person can do to their teepee.Painting designs on it etc.I had some friends who were art majors in college and they painted theirs with hawk figures all around the top and flaps.Looked pretty cool.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 09:11:19 am »
Fire
BowEd
Ed

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 12:17:40 pm »
I have made several teepees for a local trading post here in Oklahoma, A 14" and a 16", the measurements are not that hard, Laubins book the "native american teepee" I think it was called has dimensions in there for teepees. I use an old singer sewing machine and painters tarps from the local hardware store, you can build your own teepee for less than 150.00 bucks if your resourcefull.

Nice Lil teepee.

Eric
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:21:59 pm by IndianGuy »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 01:23:00 pm »
Cool.Yea I know it is a lot cheaper dong it your self.I've had Laubins book here since 1980.My friend mud turtle and me came to a trade and he had made quite a few himself.He said he used egyption cotton on mine treated mildew and waterproof.I made a fire retardent 2/3rds ozane for mine too.Maybe you could help those other fellas that wanted to make their own.
BowEd
Ed

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013, 01:26:34 pm »
Well I started sewing in the living room, ended up stretching canvas to the kitchen, then eventually out the back door into the yard! LOL teepees are fun to make and especially paint!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2013, 01:54:58 pm »
Yes it does take a lot of room.Looooooong tables etc.The canvas is cut on the bias and sewn on that way too to eliminate uneven stretching and a tight fit around the poles.The funnest neatest outdoor structure to sleep in,and it's not a tent like some people call it.It's a lodge.I hav'nt gotten into painting mine but just like the smoked used look it acquires after a while.That's enough for me.
BowEd
Ed

Offline M. Demetrius

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 10:31:44 am »
Excellent work.  I made a 14 footer once, way back in the 20th Century, and utterly wore out my wife's sewing machine.  Not the needle driving mechanism, but the feed dog just couldn't handle the stress.  I got invited out to sleep in it for a few days... >:(

I spent more time debarking and smoothing the pine poles (those little twigs can cut the fabric) than sewing the skin, though.  It's a big piece of work, but well worth it.  When you pitch it, if you put the prevailing wind (usually from the west) at the back of the lodge, the flaps create a low pressure zone above the smoke hole, and draws the smoke outside.  If you go the other direction, well, not good for asthmatics.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 12:46:04 pm »
Yes it can be very hard on home type model sewing machines.Paying attention to prevailing wind direction is a must with set up.I peeled my own poles too.Making them as smooth as possible because this is where water will run along the belly side of your poles so you don't want places where water can catch and drip from a big knot or twig.Water pegs are used or liner poles to make the water go clear to the bottom of your lodge between the liner and outside cover.I used spruce.21 footers for this 12' lodge.It's nice to have a good looking hour glass look coming out of the smoke hole.
BowEd
Ed