Author Topic: Traditional Florida Freindships  (Read 2323 times)

Offline BryBow

• With enough thrust, Pigs fly just fine.
Traditional Florida Freindships
« on: August 04, 2013, 12:18:36 pm »
My name is Bryan Jameson and I live in New Port Richey, FLorida. I have recently become involved in primitive and traditional archery. I am learning to build my own bows and arrows through the Traditional Bowyers Bible and online resources like YouTube and forums like Trad Gang and Primitive Archer.

I am writing to ask if you know the names and contact info of others in my local New Port Richey, FL area that are involved in this wonderful endeavor, hobby, sport, way of life. I have not been able to find anyone and any help you would be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

I have read in the Traditional Bowyers Bible that modern bow equipment users often scoff at the traditionalist. I had my first taste of this Saturday 08/03/2013. I stopped into a local archery retailer and archery range to see if there was a chance of camaraderie. Not only did they know nothing of traditional archery the owner seemed tired and fed up with his livelihood. I can only imagine the toll that years of plastic and carbon surroundings have taken. As I looked at the lifeless displays of compound and fiberglass bows I quickly realized how fortunate I was to have stumbled into archery through traditional channel's. You see, several weeks ago my 17 year old daughter and my wife expressed an interest in archery when they saw the compound bows on display at Bill Jackson's. Technology has a way of looking awfully enticing. Kind of like sin you know. We had stopped in there to go to the pistol shooting range. Later, when exploring archery on line I stumbled across the traditional way and thought it would be great to build our own bows and arrows.

What an exciting and joyful experience to have the involvement of my Wife and Children in something that has great history, beauty, and builds family bonds is more ways than I ever expected.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 11:59:11 pm by BryBow »
Bryan
When you shoot an arrow of truth dip it in honey.

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
Re: Bows, Bows, and more Bows.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 01:48:09 pm »
Thats an awesome story brother! Im from in Florida too I havent been that active on this message board for a while because of college :-\ So I dont know if anyone from your area has joined the board, but to my knowledge there are quite a bit of folks from florida ive talked to two from my area in brandon/tampa area.

Welcome :) 
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 02:47:33 pm »
False advertising!!! I was expecting a post bursting with pictures of sexy bow!  :(

Welcome to the world of primitive archery, it's addictive. I hope you find some people to share it with down there, it makes it a lot more fun.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 03:56:14 pm »
Hello Bry, welcome to PA.  There are many of us on from FL.  i'm in Naples.  Eddie Parker aka "mullet" is in Lakeland.  There are many others.  Send me a PM if you wish, we'll be happy to help you out.
1’—>1’

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 04:05:29 pm »
Welcome to our addiction !!!
Keep a eye on them Florida boys !!  >:D :laugh: :laugh:
Lots of good help here !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Traditional Freindships
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 09:47:03 pm »
Glad you found the real archery stuff!  Keep at it and you will meet other local traditional archers.  Welcome! :)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 09:56:13 pm »
Haha! you didn't have to change the title. I was just teasing you. Now my post looks silly. It used to be titled, Bows, bows bows bows. or something like that.  ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 10:00:34 pm »
Welcome.  My wife's grandparents lived in New Port Richey for a long time. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Traxx

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 10:05:45 pm »
Mention Florida in your title.I bet youd get some hits.As was said,there are a few Floridians on here.

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 10:09:51 pm »
I'm over in Winter Haven, but I'm still pretty green around the gills... I know what you mean about the guys at the ranges, but I just laugh and ask when they are gong to loose their training wheels :)
>>>---------->

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 11:45:36 pm »
Dang dude, I'm on the opposite coast straight across the state.  I'm afraid I'm a bit too green with this stuff to help much anyway.  I wouldn't feel real confident giving advice as I try to keep things as simple as possible.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline seminolewind

Re: Traditional Florida Freindships
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 08:54:22 am »
Welcome to PA Im in Tampa !
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Traditional Florida Freindships
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 08:02:59 pm »
Yep, and like Steve said, I'm in Lakeland. Ryan Gill (twistedlimb) is just up the road from you, also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?