Author Topic: What should I do from here  (Read 1248 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

What should I do from here
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:15:45 pm »
I have a new stave that I did three steaming sessions on.  The side view profile is not symmetrical :-\. What should I do now?  The sting lines up perfectly after the last session.  My question is, should I just go for it and start tillering, or do one more steam session?  Any words of wisdom would help.
  Thanks, Matt.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
Re: What should I do from here
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 11:21:16 pm »
Mat, pictures always help, but if your string is lining up center of handle then go ahead and start the process. Get it bending, as you get it tillered then you'll be able to tell more of how or what he limbs may need
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 11:26:25 pm »
That looks like a hellava good start to me.
what kind of wood is it???
what ar you looking to get out of it?
draw length, poundage, length, width, all plays a part in the decision or design
DBar

And what knapper said
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 11:32:13 pm »
The stave is some sort of locust highbred.  The limbs are about 1 5/16"at the widest and it is 57" long.  Looking t get a bendy handle 50 lb hunting bow out of it.  Just made a nice bow for my wife out of this stuff and it surprised me. SO I thought why not give it a go :).  I will post some pics of the wife's bow tomorrow.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 11:34:50 pm »
Now that's a great start, nice side profile, can't wait to see the finish product
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 11:57:07 pm »
Thats a workable profile for tillering. not perfectly symmetrical but very nice and its not important to have both limbs
match to get a well tillered bow. Personally I'd start tillering rather than subject it to more manipulation with steam.
It looks real good, my vote is to go for it.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 12:34:52 am »
Thank you all so much.  I will start tillering tomorrow. ;D  I will try to take photos if the progress and maybe ask for advice.  Never tillered this strong a R/D... :o