Author Topic: Tip of the ice cube...  (Read 9177 times)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Tip of the ice cube...
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 10:14:58 pm »
I killed an old piano for its spruce sound board, but the keys were overlaid with some kind of celluloid--it burned very easily. No elephants were harmed in the making of that instrument!

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline JLoranger

• JLoranger Illustration
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 11:35:54 pm »
mm that is so very nice! Let me know if you need my address again for shipping! ::)
Giving it your best effort is what anyone should expect.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 11:19:53 am »
Beautiful! It looks too white to me to be ivory, the ivory guitar saddles I work with are always more cream colored, it could be bleached bone though, or bleached ivory? Beautiful either way!  :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 09:40:57 pm »
The other day I put it on the tillering tree for photographs and the tiller looked off.  I screwed around with it some, heat treating spots and lightly scraping other spots.  I thought I had it dialed in, so I put it back on the tree to check full draw.

I don't know what happened, something slipped somewhere.  I woke up on my back, lump on the back of my head and a major crack in the concrete floor.  The bow was lying on the ground in front of me, unstrung.  I was dizzy and sincerely p.o.'d.  Maybe shoulda dialed 911 since my eyes were not focusing all that well and I was confused.  But I just restrung the bow without checking and flung it back  on the tree and yanked back on the pulley.  Dain bramage resulting in poor decision making skills.

And we got detonation!  Big bad blooooey!

Near as I can tell, when it slipped off the tillering tree and I went ash can over teakettle the bow came down and hit one of the tips on the concrete causing it to crack/seperate.  When I strung it and pulled it back, the crack continued along and split the limb between growth rings.  She's cratered beyond duct tape or sinew or superglue, the holy trinity of repair.

I had decided to forward the bow I had received in the trade.  I just couldn't see getting one tillered much less finished and this sure as heck was not my recipient's problem.  Why should he suffer for my failures.  It was bothering me so much last nite that I could not sleep.  At 2 a.m. I got up and went to the garage.  The dog followed me and lay down in a pile of shavings giving me a suspicious eye.

I dug around and found a slat of hedge that I had split off a larger stave.  I'd been saving it for a kids bow or maybe a little horse bow.  I measured it all over and decided to give it a Hail Mary pass.

About noon today I took a break when it was tillered out to near full draw and around 50 lbs.  I won't have time to mickey up fancy-dancey tips.  She won't have all the make up and hairdressing, but she should be ready to dance. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 09:52:13 pm »
Bummer! I'm glad you're alright (relatively speaking  ;)) Sounds like that bow just didn't want any fiberglass on it.  >:D Too bad cause it sure was pretty looking. I for one will be happy to get any bow from you so if I'm your recipient please don't send me the trade bow you got and take your time.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 09:57:00 pm »
Sounds like that bow just didn't want any fiberglass on it. 

You feelin' that, too?  I guess I tried to be funny and the Bow Gods pimp smacked me for it.

Stringman

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 10:21:36 pm »
Lol! 

I think you know this about me J-dub, but I could wait also.  ;) 

Offline bushboy

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 10:25:56 pm »
Sorry to hear that jw!I'm in no rush either if that matters.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 10:33:34 pm »
Mere hours after a near death experience you have another one tillered out to 50 pounds?  That's a pretty danged intense obsession / addiction if you ask me Mr. JW!  ...and that dog of yours must be some kind of evil spirit trying to ensorcel you to your demise!

OneBow

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 10:41:22 pm »
I blew the bow on Friday.  Or Thursday, it's still kinda hazy.  I seriously should have gone to see a doctor.  Haze and confusion along with blurred vision after a blow to the head can be an indication you are gonna get dead soon. 

My typical bow takes me 40 hours of work to turn out.  But last nite with the rain and the soft thunder to calm me down...along with the dog, it was just like magic.  In the first Bowyers Bible there is the section about tillering where the author says that for those times when you take a better grip on the tool and tell yourself yo are really gonna take some wood off this time that is the time to go soak your head in a bucket of icewater. 

I walked out into the rain and let it wash me clean of those impure thoughts.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2013, 08:20:22 pm »
Heck Sir,

Sorry to see that one come apart...
I hope you are feeling better physically.

As to the new bow, I say take your time.
If it takes a few extra days, I wouldn't have a problem with it, if it were headed my way.  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 08:31:33 pm »
The other day I put it on the tillering tree for photographs and the tiller looked off.  I screwed around with it some, heat treating spots and lightly scraping other spots.  I thought I had it dialed in, so I put it back on the tree to check full draw.

I don't know what happened, something slipped somewhere.  I woke up on my back, lump on the back of my head and a major crack in the concrete floor.  The bow was lying on the ground in front of me, unstrung.  I was dizzy and sincerely p.o.'d.  Maybe shoulda dialed 911 since my eyes were not focusing all that well and I was confused.  But I just restrung the bow without checking and flung it back  on the tree and yanked back on the pulley.  Dain bramage resulting in poor decision making skills.

And we got detonation!  Big bad blooooey!

Near as I can tell, when it slipped off the tillering tree and I went ash can over teakettle the bow came down and hit one of the tips on the concrete causing it to crack/seperate.  When I strung it and pulled it back, the crack continued along and split the limb between growth rings.  She's cratered beyond duct tape or sinew or superglue, the holy trinity of repair.

I had decided to forward the bow I had received in the trade.  I just couldn't see getting one tillered much less finished and this sure as heck was not my recipient's problem.  Why should he suffer for my failures.  It was bothering me so much last nite that I could not sleep.  At 2 a.m. I got up and went to the garage.  The dog followed me and lay down in a pile of shavings giving me a suspicious eye.

I dug around and found a slat of hedge that I had split off a larger stave.  I'd been saving it for a kids bow or maybe a little horse bow.  I measured it all over and decided to give it a Hail Mary pass.

About noon today I took a break when it was tillered out to near full draw and around 50 lbs.  I won't have time to mickey up fancy-dancey tips.  She won't have all the make up and hairdressing, but she should be ready to dance.

Im sorry JW but i find part of your story hard to believe. I do believe that the bow somehow came off of the tree.( it was probably mad at having efingglass glued to it)  I do believe that your head is hard enough to destroy your concrete floor. I do believe that your bow blew up.( was probably so mad that it suffered from spontaneous explosion) But i cant believe that anything as soft as concrete could be the cause of your dain bramage. In fact i believe that the fact that you used efingglass on an othetwise healthy bow is PROOF that the dain bramage was a pre existing condition. Anyway, thats MY story and im sticking to it.  >:D
Steve Bennett

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2013, 02:20:05 am »
Too bad...but glad you got right back on the shave horse and made a bow, and a few laughs...as usual.  Way to persevere you crazy ol hawk whisperer!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bubby

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 06:01:27 am »
to tell the truth J-dub, if I was you recipeant i'd want a JW bow, no matter how long it took, end of story, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline dwardo

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 06:43:28 am »
Wow thats a shocker.

Any idea how it happened? So with hope the rest of us wont make the same mistake?
Can only guess you slipped back and hit your head?