Author Topic: bow string questions  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
bow string questions
« on: August 04, 2013, 05:05:30 pm »
From reading bow building info I haven't really heard what your bow string length is suppose to be compared to your bow length. So im working on my first red oak board bow thats 6 ft so what should be my bow string length? also if I cant put that length on I should tillering more weight off correct?  Because I floor tillered it to the best of my ability since im just a beginner and i and using a string that fit on to tree tiller it right now. thanks I probably sound stupid but I just want to make this bow as good as I can.

Thanks for reading
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline TacticalFate

Re: bow string questions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 05:21:16 pm »
just see how long your tillering string is when the bow is at full brace, and use that length. You can always twist the string to fine tune brace height.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 05:29:12 pm »
Generally,A longbow string is 3" shorter than NTN length.A recurve is 4",for a good starting point.

Offline Barefoot_Jake

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 08:26:27 pm »
Generally,A longbow string is 3" shorter than NTN length.A recurve is 4",for a good starting point.

ok see i have the string about 3"shorter but the brace height is really low like it touches the unshaped handle. Does the bow need to be more tillered or do i need a real string?
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 08:52:39 pm »
What's your string made of? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Barefoot_Jake

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 09:18:08 pm »
What's your string made of?

some survey line i forget what its rated for but yeah some twisted twine it doesnt break but it seem too much slack.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 09:43:33 pm »
Traxx is right on with those numbers for a general starting point.  Your string is probably stretching causing the low brace. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso