Author Topic: ABO knappers I have a question  (Read 2298 times)

Offline iowabow

ABO knappers I have a question
« on: August 02, 2013, 07:08:39 pm »
I have been kinda trying to draw attention to aboriginal knapping lately (I know "ya think") and was wondering how many people on PA  go ABO as a primary form for knapping?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: ABO knappers I have a question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 07:16:34 pm »
I use stone bone wood and antler...

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 07:37:17 pm »
I started out all Abo. And still play with it from time to time.
 Bigest difference is you platform preparation.

( with copper ) your need very strong platform with excessive grinding so the hard copper dose not crush the edge.  this apples to percussion and pressure.

( with Antler and Wood ) you still need to prep you platforms but less grinding. The antler and wood are soft and will grab the edge. Again both percussion and pressure.

When using wood be sure to isolate your platforms. ( wood billets are big and swung at high speed and with a lot of force, if the platform is not isolated then chances are you will not strike the desired spot. Also with wood, its good to pull away from the biface at the time of impact. As if to pull the flakes off.

I only use bone to notch. but it acts a lot like antler.

Hammer stones are more like copper. Your platforms need to be strong. Also when using hammer stones your angle needs to be less extreme.

Hope this helps.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 08:19:42 pm »
Thanks Jessie good info there. I have mostly worked with stone and antler. I do want to give wood a go at some point.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 08:55:05 pm »
I am all abo. Never picked up a copper tool. I like antler for all aspects of knapping pieces, and hammerstones for spalling. I started off using hammerstone as my only means of percussion so I am well versed in hammerstone percussion, but I definitely have better control with antler. I have tried several wood billets of both persimmon and dogwood and have yet to have one that I feel helps me in any positive way. I know some others have used wood, but I sure don't care for it.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 09:44:53 pm »
I am all abo. Never picked up a copper tool. I like antler for all aspects of knapping pieces, and hammerstones for spalling. I started off using hammerstone as my only means of percussion so I am well versed in hammerstone percussion, but I definitely have better control with antler. I have tried several wood billets of both persimmon and dogwood and have yet to have one that I feel helps me in any positive way. I know some others have used wood, but I sure don't care for it.
I seem to use a steeper angle with stone than with antler how about you?

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 10:23:12 pm »
 The thing with Wood is its a big rock tool..
 I would not use wood on anything under the size of deck of cards.
Wood comes into play when your thinning a big biface down usually stuff about the size of a dinner plate and taking off huge flakes.  even on the toughest of rocks.

Antler is the #1 choice for the final stages of biface reduction on large blades and points.
 And when making smaller arrow heads less then 4 inches.

But then again a good moose billet will do a nice job on big pieces, if the rock is some high grade stuff.
Good moose billets are expensive and big rocks chew them up fast.

All this being said.. If you want to knap ( Art ) then i would use copper.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 02:50:02 am »
I agree Jesse if u want to knap art then copper is the way to go..but as far as the wood billet go..I actually favor them especially for knapping hard rock!  As mentioned it does take big wide flakes!  It takes a lot of practice but its well worth the effort!  I would love to try persimmon I heard its really good! I dont know if it grows around here have to look it up.. Maybe I can do a demo or a video in the near future! Who knows wood might have been used more than we think? 

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 11:22:14 am »
I'm all abo, at least percussion-wise. I do use copper pressure flakers quite often, just out of laziness. I also love wooden billets. They work 1000% better than anything else on tough stone like quartzite, rhyolite, and raw coarse chert, but they're not as much use on good rock that flakes well.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 05:43:12 pm »
Im trying to do more abo, but when I get in a tight I have to fall back on what works for me. hope to get better at it though
knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline billy

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 11:19:57 am »
I'm strictly all abo.  I've been doing it for years....I'm a bit of a purist, I guess.  I like all abo and I'm good at it because it's all I've done.  BUT, the antler tools definitely soften when the humidity rises, like right now in the middle of summer.  Plus the fact that we've had rain like crazy here sure doesn't help.  I dry my antler tools by carefully heating them over the flames on the gas stove, but I'm careful not to scorch them.  I just want to dry them out and harden them.  It makes a big difference and really helps, especially when you're making small, delicate arrow points which are my favorite and my signature type of points.   
Marietta, Georgia