Author Topic: Lighted Nocks (PIC Heavy)  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Lighted Nocks (PIC Heavy)
« on: August 12, 2013, 09:45:35 am »

I posted this a couple of days ago on the Around the campfire section.  Thought I should post it here too.  My buddy and I were shooting some lighted nocks for fun and decided to snap a couple of pics.  I had never tried them before. Pretty fun to shoot. 

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline twisted hickory

Re: Lighted Nocks (PIC Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:59:02 pm »
This is a great way to fine tune arrows for your bow! Never thought of that. It is intresting to note the nock of the arrow as it is going through it's shot cycle is dipping down. Any ideas as to why?
Thanks for the picts.
Greg

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 10:09:16 am »
the pics where it looks to go down, are all my buddy Tyler shooting.  The bow is canted a bit, so part of that is simple the arrow flexing side to side, just the angle is funny.  He does shoot 3 fingers under, so maybe the arrow is forced downward a bit by the string.  Hard to say.  But yeah these could be a great tool for arrow tuning.
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Stefan

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 02:02:00 pm »
How did you capture these pics? What kind of settings/camera?

looks very cool! I should try it sometime

Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:25:28 pm »
Simple, take pictures near dark and the shutter speed lengthens to allow the light to fully expose the image resulting in a line of light left instead of a dot. Same way multiple lighting strikes are caught on the same image.

Very cool pics Carson!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:34:40 pm »
Thanks Stringman, Stefan.  Yup, slow shutter will capture the light as it travels.  I think I found 1" (1 second) to work pretty well for the lens I had.  It was a Canon rebel camera.    The shooter would draw once the cameraman was ready, and then as the shooter heard the camerman hit the shutter button, he would release.  That worked pretty well.